Long Island ny
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
I am in Nassau county on Long Island. My pool builder has informed me he is not pouring a concrete collar just pouring concrete at the base of each support. Is this going to be a major issue in the long run? Should I insist on a concrete collar? The company has been in business for over 50 years so I feel like maybe they know what they are doing. Concerned newbie.

Above ground pool ? Yes that will be fine. Many many people use either a paver stone or a cinderblock under each support post.

It is going to be an ingound pool 16x32 4’-8’ deep. The concrete collar I mean at the base of the installation, it is a vinyl pool steel wall supports. I have watched many videos showing people pouring concrete around the entire base of the pool after the walls and supports are put up. My pb says they only pour concrete at the supports where they meet the dirt. His response was that the water needs to drain away from the steel walls and pouring a complete collar could keep the water near the steel walls and supports. Again just curious as to if it is an issue or not

My pb says they only pour concrete at the supports where they meet the dirt. His response was that the water needs to drain away from the steel walls and pouring a complete collar could keep the water near the steel walls and supports.

Well, he could be right. But would that make the other 95% of vinyl liner pool builders wrong.........................?

He is right but there is a build sheet with every pool kit and I haven't seen one yet that does not call for a concrete collar. I wouldnt dream of building a pool without one. I would insist on a full collar and just have them slope the concrete away slightly from pool walls, that's standard way of doing it. If hes so worried why not use composite wall panels and braces? Technically the plans all spec out 8" of concrete depth for the collar but most PB skimp and do 5 or 6 max. I go heavy and do 7 to 8. I've only had one inspector actually measure and it was my local guy at my own house. At least he gave me the heads up he was gonna check it first.

I am in Nassau county on Long Island. My pool builder has informed me he is not pouring a concrete collar just pouring concrete at the base of each support. Is this going to be a major issue in the long run? Should I insist on a concrete collar? The company has been in business for over 50 years so I feel like maybe they know what they are doing. Concerned newbie.
Hello,
Did you end up using a concrete base for collar around pool below the backfill? we are thinking about doing a pool but the concrete prices with an 8" collar around is very expensive? We are going to have to make a choice between full concrete collar or concrete pool bottom due to the prices. we have private land and dont have to worry about building codes

We did not have a full collar installed just concrete at the supports and did a sand bottom pb swore on the process and has been in business for over 50 years so trusted his opinion and hope it all works out

Reactions: jlewis84

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.