New Inground Pool in New York City!

When you need to drain the pool if is better to use a submersible pump rather then risk damaging your expensive pool pump. And as Jimmy said extra returns do more for circulation than a main drain.

Your main drain is not going to get you much.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Fyi for anyone still wondering about NYC permit: a neighbor called the NYC Building Department on me today and an inspector showed up with camera and tape measure asking lots of questions. After lots of back and forth and several different visits throughout the afternoon he confirmed/conceded that no permit required for pools less than 400 sq ft and that we were good at 392 ...

Separately, in a disappointing turn, Latham came out today to take field measurements for the liner. We have a deep end bench and apparently they cannot know exact measurements/contours of liner until the bench has been installed and pool bottom completed. Latham says wait will now be at least 3 weeks before liner is delivered. So we sit around and let August pass us by after working frantically to bring it all together in July. Frustrating that PB didn't know (or tell me) that before ....

I would not have let the inspector on my property
Me too......but If they want to search they need one of the following:

1. Permission to search from the legal entity that has the right to grant it
2. Exigent circumstances (emergency)
3. A valid administrative search warrant

More than likely if the owner doesn't grant permission, they will claim "probable cause" to a judge/permit/code office and come back with #3.

Reactions: Newdude
there has to exist some form of probable cause - and building a pool legally where no permits are required doesn't sound like probable cause to me. If the complainant wanted to let them on their property to view the construction, they can see that the pool is within code. After living a decade plus in NYC and seeing how inconsistent the city enforces its laws and rules, I would not make it any easier on them. But OP did the most expedient thing in getting them in and out quickly. Now on to the liner and bigger and better things.

Dont rush doing pavers by the time the liner goes in and its dimmable the season will be almost over. Grab a roll of astroturf amd use the pool a few times. Let it sit all winter and use geotextile under the paver base and do them in the spring. You will have settlement for sure if you do them now over that backfill.
I would see what the cost difference is between a stand alone heater and the exchanger. Its gonna be less efficient to use a zone and probably similar install costs, so the extra thousand or so for a pool heater over the xchanger is likely worth it

Jimmy,
That will depend on the efficiency of the house boiler too. I know of a few set up like this using a ultra high efficiency heating system already there for winter with a heat exchanger using glycol. I'm not sure if there is 98% efficiency in pool heaters yet.

I know of a few as well but they are all using mod con boilers that can take the condensing and not blink. Not many people have the higher end setups like that so I'm just assuming they have a standard 80% flue boiler with 3/4 zone piping. Those newer systems are the cats meow tho

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Liner is in and pool is filled with water but the liner does not sit flush against the walls in each corner. See pictures. The corners are soft, 1598473508323600579039027005634.jpgoff the wall and can easily be punctured with a fingernail. PB says this is normal and nothing to be done about it. Is that really the case?

I feel like I see this in a lot of liner pools that I have been in. My rectangular liner is not installed yet, but im looking at the specs and it says “corner: 6” radius”

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.