New in Texas - What the heck is a vinyl pool anyway?

bmdelaune

Apr 29, 2020
North Texas, USA
I grew up in Louisiana and had many jobs as a lifeguard which more often than not required maintaining the pool. Granted, much was just in the way of testing, chemicals, and cleaning. There wasn’t much on the equipment side I needed to worry about.

Recently, my wife and I bought a house that has a vinyl pool. I’d never heard of a vinyl pool, so here I am struggling to keep the levels in the pool balanced and attempting to keep my children from throwing rocks in and damaging the liner.

I will likely have some questions about some issues, but I’m glad to have found a community that can help someone like me who’d rather learn than pay a mediocre “pool guy”.

Oh good for you @bmdelaune ! Good attitude. OWN that pool of yours, and it won't own you with problems.

Vinyl pools are more common in other areas of the country than yours, I guess? They tend to be fast to build and cheaper initially to own. One downside to them is the liner does require replacement after damage and many years of use. Most every above ground pool you see is basically a vinyl liner pool.

Take care of your chemistry, particularly avoid letting the pH go too low and you'll get more years out of your liner. They cost a few grand to replace. Don't let dogs climb on the walls if they're going to swim- teach them to get in and out at the steps only.

You'll enjoy the pool. Welcome to TFP!

Maddie :flower: