Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hi all!

Excited to be here. We live in Richmond, ON. Canada - about 40 minutes southwest of downtown Ottawa. We just got our new IG Fiberglass pool up and running this week, a Narellan Federation 9 (approx 13 1/2 ft wide by 30 ft long by 3 1/2 ft deep, avg). Our PB uses Blueprint products, a Canadian company. I don't know anything about their offerings and there doesn't seem to be much factual data online. So far, our water is clear. First test this morning after following their startup directions including stabilizer and 100 kgs of salt yesterday indicated a FC of 3.0 and pH of 8.2. Turned on the SWG at 30% after 24 hours. Will re-test tomorrow morning.

hi there Druman :wave: Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool! You're swim ready I bet!

One thing you need to obtain is a good test kit. For folks in Canada we recommend the Taylor K-2006C (unless you have a US postal box? If so I'd be inclined to suggest the TF-100 as its cheaper). Owner testing is the backbone of the TFP method of pool care.

Have you read some of our basic points- ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels

We're happy to answer any questions you have......just post the question in the appropriate forum and you'll get help in no time (usually).

Glad to have another fiberglass pool owner here!

Maddie :flower:

Thanks @YippeeSkippy for the feedback! Definitely on the list and yes, we're close enough to the border for a US order and go pick it up. The TF-100 is intriguing. All I have is the FC/pH test 'kit' (no name brand), our PB provided. The K-2006 is ridiculously expensive in Canada. ($150+ USD via Amazon, at its' cheapest).

Retested this morning using above-mentioned kit. FC is at 1.5 while pH is still at 8.2. Turned SWG to 40% per Manufacturers' recommendations and added approx 300g of pH- (93.2% Sodium Bisulfate). Will re-test in 4 hours. Water still super clear however! :D

300g of pH- (93.2% Sodium Bisulfate)
FYI -- you should not use dry acid with with a SWCG. The sulfates in the dry acid build up in your water and destroy the plates in the SWCG. All SWCG manufacturers warn of this in their operating manual.

Welcome to the forum!

Dry acid should be added by dissolving first -- but that does not remove the sulfates.

You should use muriatic acid.

Confused about staying away from dry acid.
I have a hot spring spa - Watkins recommends making a dry acid solution to clean the ACE salt cell
The manual for my intellichlor ic40 Pentair pool swg says

• Never use dry acid to adjust pH in arid geographic areas with excessive evaporation and minimal dilution of pool water with fresh water. A buildup of byproducts can damage the IntelliChlor SCG.

I’m in NJ, antithesis of arid.

Is dry acid ok or not ok?

Thx!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support