new house, new to me pool

My Ph was already at 7.2, so I went and got the chlorine from walmart at $2.50 a gallon. I bought 15 of them with a 16 079 date code. That's the newest I could find, and I was afraid I was going to need a lot of chlorine for this SLAM. The pool isn't nasty, so maybe I shouldn't have worried. But worst case scenario, I'll store the chlorine indoors in climate controlled areas of the house.

Anyway, I put 4 gallons in at 4pm and tested at 8:30pm and my FC was between 25 and 25.5ppm and my CC was between .5 and 1 ppm. I figured measuring in .5ppm increments was ok for this. And clearly I overshot my FC a little, but I figure I'll check it in the morning, use the PoolMath page to figure out what I need to add to get me back to 24ppm FC, and add that in before I go to work for the day.

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to have to order some more of the CYA reagent already, and maybe some of the chlorine stuff too. At first I was doing it in the .2 increments, and I realized about 12 drops in it was going to take forever.

Anyway, thanks so much all! I think I pretty much know what to do from here, but if anything comes up, I'll certainly post back. For now, I'll keep slamming until my water is clear, I can go a night without losing more that 1ppm of FC, and my CC is less than .5ppm

Just remember the clear is talking about seeing the screw heads on the main drain or being able to read heads/tails on a quarter.

I wonder if you will notice a difference in the pool now that you are taking care of the TFP way?

Kim:cat:

Ha! I read in another thread on this forum someone talking about how once you use the TFP method, you might as well stop choosing hotels based on them having a pool, because you won't want to get in it anymore anyway. I hate to admit I was already a pool snob, I loathe (most) public pools. But I think the ultra crystal clear water is going to make me even more so of one.

It started raining again yesterday evening and is suppose to continue into this evening. It is a light steady rain, and I don't expect it to raise my water level much, nor mess with chemical levels. When I went to bed, the FC was at 25.5, and as I looked out at the pool from the house, it looked like the water was sparkling, and I could clearly see the designs on the vinyl from 20 feet away through the rain and rough water. It's already quite clear, and I'm impressed.

This morning I tested again, and FC was at 23ppm, so I added 3 cups 2 oz of 10% chlorine as pool math instructed. I'll test again when I get home and readjust. The cool cloudy weather is helping me out in terms of chlorine loss, I am sure. But I am happy to see my loss was only 2.5ppm. I am hoping that means I won't have to SLAM much longer, and I can save this 10 gallons of chlorine I have left for daily use. But we shall see.

Hey everyone! Me again, I thought instead of starting a new thread I'd just continue this one. Here's my pool!IMG_2478.jpgIMG_2478.jpg

It's looking great! I've maintained the FC at 7ppm ish, never below 5ppm so far. But my pH climbed up to 8 today, or maybe yesterday. I'm thinking my high TA of 200ppm is going to be making my pH rise, so I'm wondering if I should go ahead and just aerate, or if I should just add enough MA to bring my pH back to 7.5 or so?

Thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.