New House, comes with Hot Tub

Grove

Feb 21, 2017
Acton, Ontario
Hello,
I've bought a house which comes with a hot tub in the backyard. In Southern Ontario Canada. The Hot Tub was included "as is" and I know very little about it. I take possession at the end of the month. I was able to speak to the current owner and I asked him what he does to care for the hot tub (which they say they use daily and that there are no issues). He said they use a lithium cleaner and it's very easy and no issues just hard to source. He also let it slip that this stuff is so good he never has to change the water... and has only changed it twice in four years...

So I'm a little concerned about how filthy it really is in spite of looking clean and am seeking advice on where to get started.

I don't want to go to a store and get ripped off as I see many people have said has been the case. I know from my reading and searching on here I should start by buying the ahh-some cleaner. Where do I go from there though? I'm hoping to do this as cost effective as possible hence my desire to find out some information as to what I should buy now so that when we get the house, I have what I need to get working on cleaning it before jumping in. For Hot Tubs I've read I should be using bromine, is there a step by step as to what I should be doing to get started somewhere which I've been unable to find in my searching?

Sorry if this is an annoying question that comes up all the time, I did spent a lot of time reading and searching and wasn't quite sure if I was finding the right stuff.

Thank you for the response. I have done some more reading and have also watched some more YouTube videos.
So far, I have now purchased the Ahh-Some cleaner off of eBay which seemed to be the cheapest place I could find it.

The next things on my list to buy are:
- Spa Pure Brominating Disinfectant Tablets - 1.5 Kg, $36.75 CAD
- Leisure Time Spa Down - 2 Lbs, $16.99 CAD
- Leisure Time Spa Up - 2 Lbs, $18 CAD
- Bromine Dispensing Floater
- Testing Strips - I know people on here recommend the tf test kits but they are considerably more expensive for an up front cost when I'm still not even 100% sure if we want to keep the tub or if the work will be too much...

Is there anything I am forgetting?

Ok, if you want to use Bromine then read this,
How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

But, still use the PH and TA sections of the chlorine article to manage your pH and TA.

It is better to use muriatic (hydrochloric) acid to lower PH. Dry acid adds sulfate to the water which can damage some heaters over time. You probably won't need to raise PH ever. But, pH up is just baking soda, you can use some from your fridge.

More here about pool chems, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.