Aug 28, 2021
Thornton, CO
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moved from here.
New Bullfrog hot tub owner. We've had the hot tub just over 2 weeks. It came with the @Ease SmartChlor system. Husband followed the startup procedures, initial jump start dichlor, tested ph and added ph increase. Did a shock treatment.

ph has been 7.5 tested water at a work lab.

I had a small rash reaction after a few days. Hadn't used in a few days and now in the second week, I'm getting more of a rash.

Is there something I can do in the meantime while I figure out

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there MMico :) Welcome to TFP-

Are you testing in any way the FC before you get in, and later after soaking adding any chlorine? You might have the SmartChlor set too low.

Do not hang around in a wet bathing suit. As you have probably experienced the rash is worse where the bathing suit is against the skin. Take it off after soaking and shower since you are having these problems.

What is it that you do that you're calling a "Shock Treatment"? I've never once had to raise my pH with anything- running the jets usually takes care of things and in fact at times I have needed to lower the pH.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: RDspaguy
I'm playing catch-up on the spa. My husband was handling the testing and adjustments. Now I get the rash and he wants me to handle it. We haven't tested for FC yet. I just tested with the test strips:
TA 80ppm
ph 7.2
Total Hardness 150ppm

SpaShock is potassium peroxymonosulfate, a non-chlorine treatment to oxidize and rid the spa of non-filterable contaminants.

Mps can really irritate some people- be aware it’s only an oxidizer & not a sanitizer.
It can also show up as cc’s when testing which makes accurate testing complicated without a special regeant.
Chlorine is both an oxidizer & sanitizer.
You want to follow the FC/CYA Levels to ensure your tub is sanitary.
& here’s a handy guide 👇

There are several possible reasons a hot tub can cause a skin rash.
That said, it is always a best practice to clean and purge the plumbing on any spa before using it.
Invest in the proper tools to keep your spa sanitized then deep clean and drain your spa.
Research the TFP process and start fresh.

Reactions: Mdragger88
That @ease SmartChlor is anything but “smart” … it’s essentially the same chemical as a toilet bowl sanitizing tablet. It will not register properly on a test kit as it will read false high combined chlorine and very low free chlorine. It’s really not worth it as it’s a typical overpriced spa chemical. Read the stickies above and follow the hot tub purge method as well as the dichlor/bleach method. You should be doing all of your own testing at home, not at your husbands work lab. You’ll never get good accurate chemical readings that way (a bottle of test water that sits around all day waiting for a lunch break to do tests is not an accurate representation of your tub water).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That @ease SmartChlor is anything but “smart” … it’s essentially the same chemical as a toilet bowl sanitizing tablet. It will not register properly on a test kit as it will read false high combined chlorine and very low free chlorine. It’s really not worth it as it’s a typical overpriced spa chemical. Read the stickies above and follow the hot tub purge method as well as the dichlor/bleach method. You should be doing all of your own testing at home, not at your husbands work lab. You’ll never get good accurate chemical readings that way (a bottle of test water that sits around all day waiting for a lunch break to do tests is not an accurate representation of your tub water).
Thank you JoyFul

Reactions: mknauss
There are several possible reasons a hot tub can cause a skin rash.
That said, it is always a best practice to clean and purge the plumbing on any spa before using it.
Invest in the proper tools to keep your spa sanitized then deep clean and drain your spa.
Research the TFP process and start fresh.
Thank you Oly.

Reactions: Oly
Mps can really irritate some people- be aware it’s only an oxidizer & not a sanitizer.
It can also show up as cc’s when testing which makes accurate testing complicated without a special regeant.
Chlorine is both an oxidizer & sanitizer.
You want to follow the FC/CYA Levels to ensure your tub is sanitary.
& here’s a handy guide 👇
Thank you Mdragger

I misunderstood thinking this SmartClor was a spa sized salt water chlorinator. I have one (i believe it is by Saftron) and it instills chlorine so ;there should never be a time that there is zero chlorine in the spa.
You might want to look in to it.

Maddie :flower:

@mmlco
Here’s the guide to get u going after u purge & start fresh 👇
It’s also 📌 pinned @ the top of this forum.

Fellow Bullfrog Spa owner here... having been down the SmartChlor road myself, my advice is remove the SmartChlor system and start over with an Ahh-some Flush, a TF-100 test kit, and new water (your time is worth more than the $2 or $3 it costs in water to fill your tub). Follow the Chlorine Spa instructions on this forum, and get a handle on the basics. It's easier to manually dose your tub and the results are far, far better... like sparkling clean water for a good three months of daily soaks with less plastic waste and more money in your wallet.

Once you've got a handle on manually dosing your spa, you'll likely never want to try SmartChlor again. I tried making those cartridges work for two seasons, but it was more trouble than it's worth, and after all this is Trouble Free Pool, not More Trouble Pool! ;)

Hot tub rash can be caused by bacteria, pH imbalance, sensitivity to high pressure massage jets, or soaking too long in too hot of water. I understand that a rash caused by bacteria usually takes several hours to manifest, where as the other causes are much more immediate.

Reactions: A.O. and Mdragger88
I am in the process of using up my last @Ease cartage. They gave me a case when they delivered my spa so I used them.

What I did not use is MPS, or "Non-Chlorine Shock" The spa guy gave me a canister and said "Add a capful after every time you use the spa". MPS allergy is quite common, and I figured that there was no sense in using it. I add liquid chlorine after ever soak. I'm due for a water change soon, and when I do I am going to get rid of the @Ease.

I would go with MPS as the cause of your rash for now - stop using it and see if the rash abates

Fellow Bullfrog Spa owner here... having been down the SmartChlor road myself, my advice is remove the SmartChlor system and start over with an Ahh-some Flush, a TF-100 test kit, and new water (your time is worth more than the $2 or $3 it costs in water to fill your tub). Follow the Chlorine Spa instructions on this forum, and get a handle on the basics. It's easier to manually dose your tub and the results are far, far better... like sparkling clean water for a good three months of daily soaks with less plastic waste and more money in your wallet.

Once you've got a handle on manually dosing your spa, you'll likely never want to try SmartChlor again. I tried making those cartridges work for two seasons, but it was more trouble than it's worth, and after all this is Trouble Free Pool, not More Trouble Pool! ;)

Hot tub rash can be caused by bacteria, pH imbalance, sensitivity to high pressure massage jets, or soaking too long in too hot of water. I understand that a rash caused by bacteria usually takes several hours to manifest, where as the other causes are much more immediate.
Hello BravoRomeo.

I agree with your suggestions. Ahhsome flush either tomorrow or Saturday, I've been getting up to speed on the various TF-100 tests. I have the liquid chlorine and baking soda on hand. Still need to get the dry muratic acid (for TA

Regarding the flush on a Bullfrog spa, is it difficult to wipe the jetpacks/it's components? Should I put the filters in the middle? The tub is barely 3 weeks old.

I've put the kabosh on the MPS. Thank you for the link.

Testing yesterday;
CH = 300ppm
CYA = no reading, possibly user error
FAS/DPD FC = .5 and CC = 1.5; TC = 2, added liquid chlorine
TA = 60ppm, added baking soda
pH = 7.5, pretty steady since initial fill

I limited hot tub time/use since posting on Aug. 30th. After adding chems yesterday, soaked for 45 minutes last night and no noticeable irritation!

Sorry, I thought I added my profile/signature information.
Bullfrog R7L - 432 gallons -

I am in the process of using up my last @Ease cartage. They gave me a case when they delivered my spa so I used them.

What I did not use is MPS, or "Non-Chlorine Shock" The spa guy gave me a canister and said "Add a capful after every time you use the spa". MPS allergy is quite common, and I figured that there was no sense in using it. I add liquid chlorine after ever soak. I'm due for a water change soon, and when I do I am going to get rid of the @Ease.

I would go with MPS as the cause of your rash for now - stop using it and see if the rash abates

Thank you phonedave. I've stopped the MPS and actually, thank you for that link. When you add the liquid chlorine after the soak, is it generally the same amount/quantity?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.