New Homeowner - CLEAN POOL [back to shocking.]

Re: New Homeowner - Green Pool [shock process: day 6]

Test 38
fc: 12
cc: 1

92oz of 12.5% going in. Well, a gallon, cause it's easier and I'm out of testing supplies for a couple hours.

RockstarNE said:
Test 38

92oz of 12.5% going in. Well, a gallon, cause it's easier and I'm out of testing supplies for a couple hours.

Did you ever get any aquarium ammonia test strips? It doesn't change how you approach this but it would be useful to know for peace of mind.

I have to hit the pool store and the grocery store on my trip into town today, I may as well see if I can find an aquarium supply store and pick up an ammonia kit.

Wasn't able to get ammonia test strips, but in a pleasant turn of events, my pool place gave me three 2oz bottles of R0871 for the price of 1, so that's awesome!

Now I'm going to find an old nylon and put enough CYA in it in the filter basket to get me up to - 40? That's halfway between the minimum and max according to the troublefree goals on the pool calculator.

RockstarNE said:
Wasn't able to get ammonia test strips, but in a pleasant turn of events, my pool place gave me three 2oz bottles of R0871 for the price of 1, so that's awesome!

Dang - Remind me to hit you up for some when I need it!

RockstarNE said:
Now I'm going to find an old nylon and put enough CYA in it in the filter basket to get me up to - 40? That's halfway between the minimum and max according to the troublefree goals on the pool calculator.

50 is the most I think you want unless you have a SWCG. If you do then you eventually need 60-80, but with bleach you want 30-50 - make sure you have the pool setup at the bottom with type of pool, chlorine methods etc.

If you need it before I use it let me know, shouldn't be too big of a deal to ship it out, though not sure how the post office will feel about that...

I'm all set up with my levels, type, and volume on the pool calc, and have the goals set by the Trouble Free Pool option in the goal selector. I added 24 oz by volume, in a sock in the skimmer. The CYA I have is granules and says to broadcast it over the pool, but I like the idea of slowly adding it via the skimmer - it's an option on the instructions too, so no big deal there.

Pool Calc says I need 64oz total (by volume) to get me up to 40, so it's going to be a couple of days I think before I start getting to that point. In the mean time I'll plug my estimated cya into the calc and start using the adjusted numbers as far as my shock level goes.

RockstarNE said:
If you need it before I use it let me know, shouldn't be too big of a deal to ship it out, though not sure how the post office will feel about that...

LOL - Just kidding with you.

RockstarNE said:
I'm all set up with my levels, type, and volume on the pool calc, and have the goals set by the Trouble Free Pool option in the goal selector. I added 24 oz by volume, in a sock in the skimmer.

The TFP recommended method is to hang in front of a return.

RockstarNE said:
Pool Calc says I need 64oz total (by volume) to get me up to 40, so it's going to be a couple of days I think before I start getting to that point. In the mean time I'll plug my estimated cya into the calc and start using the adjusted numbers as far as my shock level goes.

OK - good - I didn't check the amount. Also 40 is dead middle of 30-50 - DUH! Sorry brain fart on this end.

Re: New Homeowner - Green Pool [shock process: day 7]

okay so now instead of a green pool infested with algae I have a nice clear pool infested with what has to be about 200 water bugs.

and they're not the kind I can easily skim out either cause if I even walk near the pool they All skitter away and dive under the surface. fc is still at 16 or so, how in the heck are these little buggers surviving?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

RockstarNE said:
okay so now instead of a green pool infested with algae I have a nice clear pool infested with what has to be about 200 water bugs.

and they're not the kind I can easily skim out either cause if I even walk near the pool they All skitter away and dive under the surface. fc is still at 16 or so, how in the heck are these little buggers surviving?

If I recall some of them love algae - and if you still have high CC's... you may still be kicking Algae's butt.

Hi RockstarNE,

I was wondering what the little water bugs were also. I'm down in Bellevue, NE, and started noticing them about the last week of July. This is my first year of pool ownership, so I don't know if this is a seasonal event. The water bugs I'm seeing are not the type that skim the surface. Rather they seem comfortable swimming at various depths. They seem to be fine with moderate chlorine levels. I have salt in my pool to increase comfort ( not for a salt water generator ), and that doesn't seem to bother them either. They show signs of discomfort if I add chlorine near where they are, but they just swim to a different area of the pool.

As you stated, they are very aware of their surroundings and dart way when you get close to them. I used the skimming net on a long pole to sneak up under them. Once they are out of the water, they just jump around randomly. They aren't well equipped to travel on land. I have a 10,000 gallon above ground pool and my biggest question is how did they get in the pool? Are they a larval stage of a flying insect?

Since this is my first post, I would like to give a big shout out of thanks to the moderators and contributors to this website. I was really worried about the pool becoming a big job, but I have had no trouble keeping it clear. The previous owners used Baquacil, and I know I saved a good chunk of change by following the advice here and converting to chlorine.

Re: New Homeowner - Green Pool [shock day 7: OCLT #2 pending

Test 40
fc: 14
cc: .5

After the last test, my CYA was 20. I'm working on getting it up to 40, but my nylon only holds 3 cups at a time. So, according to the pool calculator I will be somewhere around 28 CYA when the nylon is empty. Looks like that may be by morning, so I'm going to go ahead and use 28 as my CYA level for this last shocking prior to my second OCLT attempt.

I've been going with the mustard algae levels JUST in case there is ammonia, so I'll add up to 18 right now and test in an hour or so before recording my final test of the night prior to the OCLT. Looks like 3 quarts of 12.5%. In it goes!

Hank, [s:1xtqm5wb]I took[/s:1xtqm5wb] you gave me your posting virginity. I am honored! I hope that someone is able to tell us what the heck the little buggers are. I worry about them eating up my fc more than anything else. Well that and I don't think anyone is going to want to swim in a pool where there are bunches of little divey insects.

I don't know. My girls would probably have fun chasing them and the pool ;)

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I still can't get consistent results doing this by hand, except for cc. cc was .5 in each of the three tests I just ran. I got fc readings of

So I'm still not quite doing something right. Hopefully this will be easier once my stir thinger gets here. I'm going to leave it alone for now. If I get up in the morning and I still am able to read .5 or less cc I think I'm going to call it a pass and start doing the other stuff I need to do to get my other numbers in line.

Got up late, pretty sure my OCLT results are bunk, and I failed anyway.

fc: 11

I'll dose back up to 18 and keep going.

Re: New Homeowner - Green Pool [shock day 7: in progress]

Okay it's been an hour. According to the more recent test, I'm back down to

cc: .5

I'm amazed that I lost 9 fc in an hour. It's about 70 degrees outside, I should have about 25 cya at the moment, and I've double and triple checked my volume (i actually took decent measurements and use Google SketchUp to get a volume estimate) and still I'm losing so much fc so quickly. I'll dose back up to 20 or so and test again in an hour.

That's about 2 gallons. Oi. Does anyone know how I might test the efficacy of my what is supposed to be 12.5% bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.