new here

gstamper

Jul 11, 2021
Charlotte nc
Hello, my name is greg my family and I have a new pool (3 months old). The reason I have decided to join the site is simple. I like the support and large amount of posters. Our pool has been wonderful to this date. We test the water regularly, take samples to the local store weekly. The only thing we have had to add was ph reducer 2 times. Our water is very clear. we add water regularly and get rain. I am surprised that we have not had to add any wild chemicals, is this normal? the one issue we have had is there are white flakes in the pool around the jets and bubblers. I thought this was calcium hardness. or way to high free chlorine. However the store has said none of those levels are high. I took a sample of these flakes in they has no idea what it was. our sw cg runs at 20 percent. also we purchased the pool with a tru guard sanitizer, it was on back order. It was just installed we are hoping this will help w the flakes. we want to see how the pool does w this new equipment installed.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Gather some of the white flakes and put a drop of Muriatic Acid on them. If it fizzes it is calcium. We do not follow conventional pool industry recommendations for chemical levels, mainly because they do not account for how those chemicals interact with each other. We highly recommend getting your own high quality FAS/DPD test kit, such as a TF 100 or Taylor K2006. When you test your own chemicals you will have consistent results needed to balance the pool correctly. These test results also give us the information we need to accurately answer your questions. Just telling us chemicals are good doesn't give us the data we need to analyze your pool.
The tru guard mineral sanitizer probably contains copper. You really don't want copper in your pool. Copper levels build up over time and can stain the pool surface, and turn light colored hair and fabrics green.