New here: what is this stuff? Should I be concerned?

Pharbehind

Apr 14, 2022
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a salt water pool with a lot of stone work surrounding it (one entire side is a stone water fall for example). I can’t tell if this is stone, salt or some other pool chemical. As you can see from the photo, it tends to align with one of the jets. I use my fine mesh net to scoop this all out every week or so, and it keeps building up. Appreciate the insight.
46681066-D343-452B-A5EC-D4ABD8E4DBD2.jpeg

I have a salt water pool with a lot of stone work surrounding it (one entire side is a stone water fall for example). I can’t tell if this is stone, salt or some other pool chemical. As you can see from the photo, it tends to align with one of the jets. I use my fine mesh net to scoop this all out every week or so, and it keeps building up. Appreciate the insight.
View attachment 432345

Attachments

• 509A9577-F231-4677-9DAD-A8F868E78150.jpeg
    509A9577-F231-4677-9DAD-A8F868E78150.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 23
Calcium scale.
Likely from your SWCG.
Post your water chemistry data from your own test kit.

I asked the tech who came today about this - definitely calcium scale from the SWG. He told me how to remove it, and recommended I flush it with diluted muriatic acid. I’ll need 2 buckets. And just keep flushing it until it’s cleaned out, and not to brush or scrape the metal bars at all.

Does that sound right?

That will remove it from the SWCG. Do realize acid will reduce the life if the cell. Be sure to dilute the acid by 10 parts water to 1 part acid. Or use cleaning vinegar (6%).

I have never had to clean mine with acid. It does not get scale in it enough to need it. I have pushed out a couple small amounts with a wooden stick.
Manage your pool water chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have never had to clean mine with acid. It does not get scale in it enough to need it. I have pushed out a couple small amounts with a wooden stick.
Manage your pool water chemistry.
Now that I’m taking care of it myself, that won’t be a problem.

If you are going to use acid to clean an IC 40, you need the cleaning kit to plug off one end of the cell. Do NOT put the entire cell in a bucket of acid water.

If you are going to use acid to clean an IC 40, you need the cleaning kit to plug off one end of the cell. Do NOT put the entire cell in a bucket of acid water.
Yeah, thanks. I looked that up earlier and my local Leslie’s has it in stock. I’m not dumb enough to stick the entire SWG in acid water, fortunately.

Reactions: mknauss
We had a member report their cell died and it was not very old. Their pool guy put the entire Intellichlor in a bucket of acid. Not good.

Picked up the cleaning kit (part 520670) this morning, acid washed it this afternoon, took about 45mins and a few cycles. Good as new now! It’s interesting - on the front of the IC40 unit it says to acid wash every 3 months. Never noticed that before.

No more white flakes in the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.