New here, new pool, clueless - help w/test kit optional items?

angelalynn3625

Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2019
NH
Hi everyone! I've updated my signature the best I can right now until I can get a closer look at my pump and such. We had the pool put in late last summer/early fall, so we haven't even used it yet or had to do anything with it. Until now. Eek! The pool is open, it had some leaves it when they took the safety cover off, it's all cleaned out now but the water is light green (after they put shock in and put some chlorine tabs in the basket). We vacuumed it some with just the regular vacuum attachment that came with the pool. Going to order the Maytronics Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner tomorrow from Marina Pools though. Gonna be honest, I have no idea what I am doing lol. BUT, I am here to learn! I'm sure I will have so many questions, but for now I'm hoping you guys can help me with ordering the test kit. I have learned from exploring the forums that I should purchase a TF-100 test kit. I went to do that but it has a list of "optional items" that I could also order. Do I need any of these things? PH meter, speedstir magnetic stirrer (what is that??), borates test strips, salt test strips etc are listed. I've got a SWCG but I'm not sure if that means I need more things than just the TF-100 test kit?

You need at minimum the TF-100 and the Taylor Salt test since you have a SWCG. SpeedStir is optional but also highly recommended. The speedstir is a little magnetic pill shaped item that goes into a clear tube and sits on top of a battery operated motorized base that twirls the magnetic pill around in the water, thus mixing the re-agents for you as you add them and keeping you from having to swirl and potentially spill or have to pause between drops and check for a color change. It makes testing easier and your results more reproducible.

Welcome! :wave:

You will not regret buying the speedstir. Nobody who has one does. Try speedstir as a title in the search box and you'll see.
If you plan to use the SWG, then you need some kind of salt test. Pick one.
Since the pool is green, order the XL option now.
Lastly, the CYA standard is a nice thing to have. It helps you calibrate your eyes.

I don't use a speedster but I can rub my belly while patting my head so ......I also don't use borates, and have no need for the pH meter or CYA standard either. The quality kit is a must have and keeping adequate amounts of fresh reagents on hand important. Jump on in the water is TFP perfect.

I have a speedstir and I have to say, my results are different than when I didn't use one. We tend to get impatient when we are testing and don't let the reagents mix enough. I witnessed this with the pool guy. My TA was 70 and he measured 80! Big difference. The reason he measured so high was he didn't wait for the reagent to mix long enough and added that extra drop to get his color change. With the speed stir you don't need to worry about that. It saves time and gives better accuracy. You will not regret getting one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.