New here and need advice/guidance

I brushed it last night. I stopped by at lunch and the FC was at 19. I also noticed today that it has a lot of gray looking stuff on the bottom. Is that dead algae? I will vacuum that tonight. If I have to do a backwash, is it ok to add more water while I am in the slam process?

yes, it sounds like dead algae. Sure you can add water and if you vacuum to waste (to avoid having the dead stuff go in to the filter) you'll need to add water before you vacuum so that you don't suck air in the skimmer as you vacuum.

Update.... I have been in the SLAM process for 6 days now. My CC is still at 1.5. I have been keeping my FC as close to 20 as possible. I have been brushing the walls everyday. I vacuum the bottom when I have signs of dead algae on the bottom. My water has cleared up just a little in the deep end but still cant see the details of the floor. Do I just keep on with the SLAM? I have been adding anywhere from 1/2 gallon to 1 1/2 gallons of chlorine daily based on pool math. Any advice? I also backwashed a few times in the past week just to make sure the filter isnt holding lots of junk in it.

How often are you testing and re-dosing each day? The more you can do it, the faster it goes.

Do you still have leaves and other schmutz in the deep end? That will slow you down enormously.

How about taking some pictures for us?

I am testing 3 to 4 times a day. Lowest it has dropped is to 18. I usually bump it up to around 23. I have nothing in the bottom of the pool unless something new falls in. But it only stays until I see 8t and vacuum it out. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

Here are my pictures. It really hasnt changed much the past few days. My CC actually went down to 1.0 but this morning it was back to 1.5. The shallow end has been clear from day one but the deep end was clear until I started the SLAM. Once I started the slam you could not see the drain in the bottom of the deep end. It has cleared up enough to see the details on the floor but its still very hazy. I have now been in the SLAM process for 10 days. Any thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did I miss this thread? Hi neighbor! Good luck finishing your SLAM, sounds and looks like you are close. I would get some DE anyway (Home Depot on 123 :) ) I love adding a little to my filter if I am having people over, seems to really make the water pop even when it's crystal clear to start with. Could be my imagination. Watch the gauge closely until you realize how much is just right, I've found a half a Solo cup is perfect for me.

How did I miss this thread? Hi neighbor! Good luck finishing your SLAM, sounds and looks like you are close. I would get some DE anyway (Home Depot on 123 :) ) I love adding a little to my filter if I am having people over, seems to really make the water pop even when it's crystal clear to start with. Could be my imagination. Watch the gauge closely until you realize how much is just right, I've found a half a Solo cup is perfect for me.

I think you are the first I have seen on here from my neck of the woods. I seen DE at Lowes on 123 yesterday and started to buy some. I am starting to think my SLAM is taking a little longer due to my pool not getting full sunlight all day long. We just purchased the house so we are working with what we have but hopefully next year the large Oak tree growing over the pool will be history!

- - - Updated - - -

If you have high CC then you need to continue to SLAM the pool until all three criteria are met. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I plan to continue to SLAM but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas what could be slowing it down. I think I have been thru 18 gallons of 10% Chlorine as of today. Just purchased 10 more gallons at lunch.

Sand filter. YippySkippy- Maybe have joshua try a little DE?

Yes, a little DE may be helpful here. But it usually comes after the CCs are down and the pool is just taking a long time to clear.
I love adding a little DE to my sand filter, it just seems to polish up the water nicely. Just make sure its Pool DE, not garden DE.
Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

haha. I am getting close to looking like that!

Yes, a little DE may be helpful here. But it usually comes after the CCs are down and the pool is just taking a long time to clear.
I love adding a little DE to my sand filter, it just seems to polish up the water nicely. Just make sure its Pool DE, not garden DE.
Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

I will pick some DE up this week and see if anything changes. I am still brushing the sides and floor everyday. I vacuum when I have noticeable buildup on the bottom. I have backwashed a few times since I started the slam just to make myself feel better. My pressure gauge typically stays at 10psi (I assume that is the normal as thats all I have ever seen it register before I vacuum). Will let everyone know whats going on when/if anything changes.

Just noticed your pool size, how deep is each end? We have the same length/width pool but with my deep end it's about 40k gallons. Even if your average is 6 ft that's 29k

Just noticed your pool size, how deep is each end? We have the same length/width pool but with my deep end it's about 40k gallons. Even if your average is 6 ft that's 29k

My pool is 18x36. The shallow end is about 3.25' and the deep end is 8'. I have went round and round trying to get my gallons narrowed down but still not 100% sure. I do know that when I originally had 30k in pool math that my FC would go about 5ppm higher than what it said it was shooting for. Thats what got me questioning the actual gallons in the first place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.