New guy with an Algae or Pool Guy problem

ThreeSixT

May 23, 2020
San Diego CA
New here and been lurking while working through an algae problem for the last 3-4 weeks.

Pool guy claimed no chlorine and started dumping mass liquid chlorine, cleaned filter, added Blue Ray XL (minerals in skimmer basket + cartridge in pump basket). Also added floater with tabs. Continued to brush walls and floor (msyelf) with pump/vacuum running most of the day.

Water is pretty clear now with stains left behind, mostly on steps and floor. Can't determine if left over algae or stains from minerals.

Had high CYA problem all last summer, but levels seem to be ok now. Bought my own testing and cleaning supplies because I couldn't trust what pool guy was telling me, stories never added up.

Still trying to figure out the K-2006C kit, but based on what I've been able to test - FC 10, CYA 30, PH 7.8

Thoughts on best ways to prevent this or if SLAM is needed? Find liquid chlorine or continue using tabs?

I also have a decent amount of evaporation as I need to top off/fill for 30 mins every 2-3 days. Wondering if that's normal?

I'm on the verge of just doing the work myself (since I have everything I need now) - last scheduled maintenance is this Friday.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight using your FAS-DPD FC test. That will be an indicator if you need to follow the SLAM Process.
You say pretty clear. Can you post a picture?
Going forward you should use liquid chlorine adding daily based on testing. Keep the trichlor tabs for when you will be away from home for several days.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

As far as your evaporation. Your location says San Diego. Is that Coronado or up in the hills like El Cajon?

You can manage with a CYA of 70. But no more solid chlorine at all. Must be all liquid chlorine.
Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight. Go test the FC in the next hour or so and again in the morning before the sun hits the surface of the pool. Let us know the results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.