New Guy - just starting out. I could use some assistance

I have grown tired of the hundreds of dollars I have spent at the suggestions of the local pool store. I found this site and have read through quite a bit. I purchased a Taylor K-2006 and here are my test results as of this morning and the results that Leslie's told me when I took a bottle in for testing:

My results ------- Leslies results
CYA 25-30 ------- 30
FCA 12 ------ 7.5
PH 7.6 ------ 7.8
T Alk 210 ------ 160
Cal Hardness 100 ----- 110

As background, I had 110 CYA (according to Leslies and could not keep FC levels at all. I pumped out almost all of my water and started over. I didn't SLAM as I was starting out with fresh water and had no algae. I have been keeping a higher level of chlorine (between 12 -20 ppm) but I am having to add it almost every day. Should I SLAM? I am using 10% strength bleach and no pucks or pool store shock. I have had trouble bringing my PH down and have used more than a gallon of Muriatic Acid to get it down from 8.0 to 7.6. I am concerned about the Total Alkalinity and the Calcium Hardness numbers. I plan to continue to add Muriatic Acid until my PH get down to 7.0 or 7.2 and aerate using my water feature, bubblers and spa air blower. When and what should I use to bring my Calcium Hardness into range? What other advice do you have?

Your CYA level is probably a little low for Texas. There are others here from TX who can probably give you better answers. I'm thinking you want a CYA of 40-50 for your climate. Even with new water the old water had algae and the surfaces had algae so you should probably SLAM. I don't deal with calcium since I have a vinyl pool.

Read pool school, its on the left side of the page. It lists recommend values for plaster pools. Your CH should be 250 or so. You could use Cal-Hypo for instead of liquid chlorine to start with. It will provide calcium and chlorine until your CH gets high enough.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
As Doral said, you may still need a SLAM, but first do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight. Test your FC after dark this evening and then again tomorrow morning before the sun shines on the pool surface.
If passed the OCLT, then do add 20 ppm CYA.
You will be adding liquid chlorine every day, typically 3-4 ppm FC worth.
Your pH rises because your TA is so high. As you lower your pH, the acid consumes TA. Eventually it will come into balance and less acid will be needed.
You should add some calcium to get to 200-250. Look for calcium chloride. Pool stores or Amazon may be your best source.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.