New Gunite Build in SE PA (Plumbing Question)

rbarci910

Aug 12, 2020
Phoenixville, PA
The build has finally kicked off after signing a contract last fall. We started about a month and half later than originally estimated but not surprised due to all the delays the pool industry has been seeing lately. I know nothing about pools so this site has been extremely helpful. In the first 1.5 weeks PB completed the dig (took away 25 truck loads of dirt) and rebar is in. It all looks good to me so far but what do I know. A couple of pictures attached (including original rendering.) Feel free to share any concerns if you see any.

Bar_005.JPGDSC05690.2.jpgDSC05694.2.jpgDSC05702.2.jpgDSC05706.JPGDSC05709.JPGDSC05711.2.jpgDSC05718.JPGDSC05721.JPG

Reactions: RU4Cycling2
After waiting nearly 6 weeks to get gunite it was finally completed yesterday. Everything looks pretty good with one exception. They made the steps off the sun shelf really small and jammed them in the corner. There is only 18in from the side of the pool to the edge first step. I think this is accident waiting to happen. Too far to one side and you scrape your leg on the coping, too far to the other side and your foot is off the step. Does anyone else things these are too small? Waiting for PB to get back to me.

Will they need to bring the gunite trucks back out or is this something they can build up a different way? Very frustrating considering how long it took just to get the gunite crew here the first time.

Pool1.jpgPool2.jpg

Pool3.jpgPool4.jpg

I see your point. I would prefer the steps to be wider. We have a shelf and the steps go along nearly the length of the shelf(see pic below). It is a nice place to hang out "in" the water. Maybe they could redo the steps. However, did you sign off on the layout of the current steps? I think I remember having to sign the layout paper before gunite and dig. The PB may want to charge you to redo.

Is that an Anthony&Sylvan pool? Looks like the same equipment we have. Make sure to NOT use the mineral pack in the Nature2 Fusion Soft.

1624978108942.png

The original plan had complete half circles about 2 feet over to the right. We didn't want dead space between the stairs and wall so we asked them to extend the stairs all the way to the wall from their original position in the drawing. We were told that's how they usually do it so it's not a problem. That clearly wasn't communicated correctly to the gunite crew. But either way it's not correct based on the drawing that was in the original contract. I would have rather had the dead space then what they gave us.

Forgot to note this is not an A&S pool. It's a local builder who gets great reviews. We actually know several people who have used them and have nothing but good things to say. I'm confident they will fix it but the concern is how long that is going to take to fix. Was hoping to get thoughts on how easily that could be fixed. Like everyone else this year, we were supposed to be swimming by now but I get the industry struggles right now.

Pool builder has agreed to redo the stairs. How long it’s going to take to get the gunite crew back out remains to be seen. It’s unfortunate that their poor communication with their sub is going to cause not only a delay but money out of their pocket. I’m starting to accept the fact that it is highly unlikely that we’ll even get a little bit of time to use the pool before the season ends.

Keep on them to get scheduled. They, like most of the builders probably are over extended. If you don't make noise, they probably will forget you and then it will be too late this summer. You're not alone. Most people building pools have run into some type of delay.

What's left after they fix the steps? If plaster only, then maybe there's hope for the end of summer to swim.

Good luck and I hope they get you swimming soon.

@SecoSteve I appreciate your positive thinking but unfortunately there is a lot left to go. The PB won’t commit to any dates because various backorders. I know backorders are an issue with some stuff but I also think they took on way more work than they can handle in a reasonable amount of time this summer And are using that as an excuse for every little thing. I’m tempted to call their tile and coping suppliers to see what the lead time is as if I’m ordering for myself.

Plumbing was done about a week or so ago and there is one thing that I'm concerned about. I was hoping some of the experts could weigh in and let me know if I should be concerned with how they plumbed one of the returns. 1. Wouldn't the flow be reduced due to the size decrease in the line. 2. This is pretty soft compared to the rigid pvc so should I be concerned with it breaking easily?

Return.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Plumbing was done about a week or so ago and there is one thing that I'm concerned about. I was hoping some of the experts could weigh in and let me know if I should be concerned with how they plumbed one of the returns. 1. Wouldn't the flow be reduced due to the size decrease in the line. 2. This is pretty soft compared to the rigid pvc so should I be concerned with it breaking easily?

View attachment 357945
I don't understand why they would do that. I would tell them to use same pipe diameter for the whole run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.