New gas heater for spa

Sep 22, 2016
Temecula, CA
I'm in So Calif and have a 20 yr old in ground salt pool/spa. Equipment is Pentair pool pilot/soft touch and a 400k MiniMax NT heater.
Would like to replace the gas heater with something smaller since I only heat the 500 gal spa.
Looks like a Pentair 125k heater is about $1500 and 250k about $2400.
What would be a less expensive (but reliable) option for a 125k or 250k gas heater that can work with my pool pilot/soft touch connection?

Thx

Welcome to TFP.

I don't think Pentair makes a pool pilot. Is this what you have....

The 150K heater will take three times as long to heat your spa as your current 400K heater.

The 250K heater will take about twice as long to heat your spa as your current 400K heater.

You need to decide if the one time cost difference is worth the wait times for the spa to heat up.

Any of those heaters will work with the same connection as your MiniMax heater.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

I don;t think Pentair makes a pool pilot. Is this what you have....

The 150K heater will take three times as long to heat your spa as your current 400K heater.

The 250K heater will take about twice as long to heat your spa as your current 400K heater.

You need to decide if the one time cost difference is worth the wait times for the spa to heat up.

Any of those heaters will work with the same connection as your MiniMax heater.
Thanks for ur reply.
If I stay with another 400k heater, do you recommend a less expensive (but reliable) heater other than Pentair's $3,000 (400k) heater?
I got a friend who works for Zodiac pools and he said family pricing is around $2100 for a 400k, but I don't know how good or bad Zodiac heaters are.
Thx.

You can consider a Raypak 406A heater.

A Jandy (Zodiac) heater is ok. Jandy is not very DIY friendly or dealing with owner maintenance.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.