New from NY

newpoolbuild

Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
NY
Hello,
In the process of design an inground pool. Can someone please shed some light on pros and cons on shotcrete pool vs liner in ease of maintenance and cost? I have a quote from 1 PB w liner but he recommends 3’+ retaining wall, shotcrete says he can grade it so we probably only need 1-2’ tall retaining wall . With everything else similar. The final costs are similar. What do you guys think?

In simple, gunite will last much longer with some extra maintenance. The liner will need to be replaced every 5 to 15 years at a cost around $5k each time. The gunite wont need replastering until around 20 years but will be a $20k job.

Im assuming you were quoted aluminum/resin wall for the liner pool due to the need for more retaining wall. Wanted to toss out a third possible option. My pool is concrete wall with a liner. Its basically a house foundation with a sand bottom. It uses the surrounding dirt for some support, but for the most part it provides its own support similar to a gunite pool. So its kind of the best of both. The price of a liner pool with the strength and longevity of the gunite. With your 2 quotes being the same adding pool price and retaing wall price, mine would allow you a cheaper pool price and the cheaper wall price.

That’s very interesting combo. I think someone might have under estimated the need for retaining wall so the price would not look too high. Maybe he was correct that we don’t need that much retaining wall.