New from Maine

mirrera

Dec 4, 2020
Maine
I am purchasing a 27' Radiant Metric Pool with a salt water system. The land work has been done, and I get a site evaluation this winter, to install in the spring. The only pool we have ever had is a walmart round pool that we could not keep clear. We filled it with our well water which is full of iron and manganese.

This time I plan to have water delivered, and I purchased a filter for the end of our hose for top ups (plus a new house filter system). I am very excited and hope I don't regret this big decision as swimming in my back yard has been a lifelong dream!

Welcome to the forum!

You are very wise to truck in water. Well water can be a big enemy as you have experienced.

With trucked in water you will start fine but the refills will still haunt you, I'm afraid. The filter on the end of the hose simply doesn't have ANY capacity and a whole house filter I doubt will be able to keep up either.

Consider instead a water softener for your house. Then refill your pool through that softened water and you should be good to go.

Hey mirrera and Welcome !!
The only pool we have ever had is a walmart round pool that we could not keep clear
You hadn’t found us yet.
I am very excited and hope I don't regret this big decision as swimming in my back yard has been a lifelong dream!
Now that you have found us, the rest is easy peasy. Read up on the link that Marty posted. It’s a lot to digest at first, but it’s all just new to you terms that will stick after reading it a few times. We have all winter for it to sink in and you’ll be your own pro by the time you break ground.

There are many sub forums on the site. Fire off any questions in the proper area and the pros that frequent them will be able to give you specific answers. You’ve already met 2 of the most seasoned pros above me, not a bad start. There are many more who’ll be glad to help too.

Welcome to the forum!

You are very wise to truck in water. Well water can be a big enemy as you have experienced.

With trucked in water you will start fine but the refills will still haunt you, I'm afraid. The filter on the end of the hose simply doesn't have ANY capacity and a whole house filter I doubt will be able to keep up either.

Consider instead a water softener for your house. Then refill your pool through that softened water and you should be good to go.
The filter I purchased was MetalTrap Pool and Spa Filter for up to 25,000 gallons from Metaltrap Filters (available in 3 sizes)
Our well produces a lot of water, but it may not work. It was the first step in my dream during pandemic lockdown.

Purchase the test kit we suggest for swimming pools (K-2006C or TF-100) and then test your well water and post the numbers up here. These kits don't have an all-important (in you case) iron test so take a well sample to the pool strore and test for iron.

If it tests .3ppm or less, you are good to go. Yes, that's a decimal!