New filter low pressure

jnofsinger

Jul 1, 2021
Columbus, Ohio
Hello,

We have just replaced a small hayward pool filter with a larger filtration hayward c4030 (we have a 21k gallon pool). This is probably on the larger end of the scale for the pool, but it is in the sun all day and we have a fair amount of trees on one side. I figured it was a better idea to go bigger than smaller C-series filter.

The pump I have is a variable series 2HP on the tool setting the filter will read 8 PSI on the .25 circulation setting it will not read PSI. The water still flows through the filter somewhat strong, but not much PSI in the filter at all.

the c4030 has 2" bulkheads installed, but the pump and the piping is 1.5" and the skimmer basket and current outflow is 1.25". it is an above ground pool so I do plan on having the majority of the piping at 1.5" and keeping the 2" bulkheads on the filter itself. Does any of the current mess of pipes contribute to the pressure issue? what can I do to try to increase pressure on the low setting of the pump? does it really matter or do I need to run the filter at the tool setting for part of the day?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Jim

Welcome to the forum!
The lower the filter operating pressure the better!
You might invest in a 0-30 psi gauge as that will provide better resolution.
To establish clean filter pressure, it will be best to do that at a higher RPM where you can easily read the pressure value. Then every couple weeks, use that RPM to check the filter pressure. When it reads 25% higher than the base clean pressure, you need to clean the cartridges. Although I suspect you will be only cleaning the cartridges once per year - at closing for winter.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
The lower the filter operating pressure the better!
You might invest in a 0-30 psi gauge as that will provide better resolution.
To establish clean filter pressure, it will be best to do that at a higher RPM where you can easily read the pressure value. Then every couple weeks, use that RPM to check the filter pressure. When it reads 25% higher than the base clean pressure, you need to clean the cartridges. Although I suspect you will be only cleaning the cartridges once per year - at closing for winter.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you for the quick response. The site is great and I have been reading a bunch and loving every minute of it!! Waiting on the pool testing kit recommended by this site to get to the nerdy part of pool chemistry ;)

Jim

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.