Colorado Springs
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Intex 12x24x52 new fill. Added the 8 bags of salt. Now have to add for the ph. Pool math calculations say 207 lbs of borax (mule) Does this sound right to everyone? Should I first add in the baking soda, which is 9lbs, 15 ozs or 159 ozs. Just seems like alot and wanted to make sure. Thank you!

What are your test results & how are u testing your water? Your signature shows your pool volume as 4k gallons but poolmath calculation comes out to about 8600 if your dimensions are correct.
lets get that straight before adding any chemicals

What are your test results & how are u testing your water? Your signature shows your pool volume as 4k gallons but poolmath calculation comes out to about 8600 if your dimensions are correct.

Pool size is 12'w x 24'L x 52" deep. Pool math calculator shows 9700 gallons. In using the Taylor k2006. Just tested water again using the 25ml sample. After 2 scoops of r0870, turns very light pink. 3 drops of r0871 water is clear again. 5 drops of r0003 water stays clear. Should I run a boost cycle? Add other chemicals? TA-30, PH-7.4, CYA -0.

As for volume u only count the water height not the wall height so I figured that on 48” of water.
As you dose & test the results you’ll be able to fine tune your volume calculation.
You have no cya so you’re chlorine won’t last long & your swg will have a hard time keeping up since it will be consumed by the sun quickly. You need around 70 ppm cya when all is said & done but for now get about 40ppm dissolving in a sock infront of a return & use liquid chlorine to get to 5-7ppm fc daily so nothing grows while u wait on your swg to take over. FC/CYA Levels After cya has been dissolved for 24hrs or so retest & then add the remainder so u don’t overshoot.
It takes many hours for your swg to produce that much fc. Boost just makes it run for 24hrs. It only makes a finite amount per hour . Swg’s are meant to maintain fc levels , not get u there from zero or overcome algae so when u need a boost dosing with liquid chlorine is best.
Then you can see if your swg can maintain it & adjust it accordingly.
Your ta is low so add baking soda to get to 60ppm (shou
- your ph is fine. No need for borax.
Even if your volume is 9700 gallons & u added 8 - 40# bags that would put your salt level @ almost 4000 ppm. Most intex units don’t really like more than 3000ppm & will usually throw a high salt alarm.
It’s usually advised to add about 3/4 of the salt poolmath calls for , let it circulate 24hrs, then test & add whatever is needed to get to your target so you don’t overshoot it because just like with cya the only way to lower it is a water exchange.
With all your dosage #’s being so large i wonder if your pool volume is correct in the setup of PoolMath

Reactions: linda48
@Mdragger88 thank you so much for all the info! I've added clorox, baking soda, and have about 52 oz's of dry stabilizer in a sock right in front of the return. I will test tomorrow about mid day and continue from there. Question... the calcium hardness is 50, I could only find calcium booster (Leisure Time brand). Would that be ok? Or what do you advise for calcium chloride? Thank you so much!

@Mdragger88 I've added clorox
Be careful with Clorox brand bleaches, it is hard to find Clorox that doesn’t have additives. You want something with “sodium hypochlorite” and no additives. The “pool shock” I use says “12.5% sodium hypochlorite” and “87.5% other ingredients.”

@Mdragger88 thank you so much for all the info! I've added clorox, baking soda, and have about 52 oz's of dry stabilizer in a sock right in front of the return. I will test tomorrow about mid day and continue from there. Question... the calcium hardness is 50, I could only find calcium booster (Leisure Time brand). Would that be ok? Or what do you advise for calcium chloride? Thank you so much!
Clorox products contain cloromax so try to find “chlorinating liquid” since Unadulterated (non splashless, unflavored, non fabric conditioner) bleach is hard to find lately. It will be in the pool section of Walmart, Home Depot etc. like craig stated.
Also low ch is not an issue in vinyl pools but high ch is a problem in all pools. So 50ppm is fine. Maybe u can return it?

Reactions: linda48
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.