New fill Fiberglass pool what to add

Customer Support

Oct 6, 2021
Las Vegas
Hello, I am not good with searching forums, could someone tell me what steps i need to take or send me a link on what steps to take to get my pool running.
I used to go to leslies for water tests and supplies but i end up draining my pool way more often than I should be because of what they have me adding to the water.
I would like to stop relying on them,

I have a new Taylor test kit but it hasn't been opened in 4 years. are the chemicals bad now or can i still use it?

I have just finished draining and refilling my 10,000 gallon pool
I plan on using liquid chlorine but don't know how much,
I cleaned the filters and skimmer baskets and the pool has no algae
what else needs to be done? anyone have a checklist for opening a new filled pool?

I've had the pool for a long time, just always went to leslies and never thought about doing it myself

Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

Start here…

Post your water chemistry using your TF-100.

Add 30-50 ppm of stabilizer/CYA and maintain 3-5 ppm of free chlorine.

Download PoolMath

I had to order a refill on my test kit chemicals, meanwhile went to Leslies and used their water test.
its all done by a new testing machine if that makes it any better. once i get my refill i will post my updated results.

Fresh fill

Free Chlorine .56
Total Chlorine .7
PH 7.8
Total Alkalinity 137
Calcium hardness 155
Cyanuric Acid 5
Iron 0
Copper 0.2
Phosphates 45
TDS 500

I have 2 lbs of Chlorbrite Shock left should I use them?

Use the Effects of adding chemicals section of the PoolMath app to find out how much liquid chlorine needed to bring your FC up to about 5 ppm, probably 1/2 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine, then add that. Maintain that 5 ppm while reading through that pool care basics link and waiting to get your test kit reagents.

As soon as you get your reagents do a full test and post your results here and log those results in PoolMath - you should get in the habit of logging test results in PoolMath.

Reactions: Customer Support
Their fancy new testing machine is not more reliable for us.

1 lb of the Chlorbrite Shock will raise your FC by 6.6 and CYA by 0.6.

You need to raise your CYA to 30-50 ASAP.

Get your chlorine up to 6 ppm, test daily for a while if you can and add LC to keep that level up. Use the fas-dpd chlorine test and check for combined chlorine. Read through the pool care basics again.

pH looks high to me, what does poolmath say the ideal should be for your pool? I would start on that about an hour after adding liquid chlorine. pH seems to be as important as cl for my plaster pool.

Still waiting on your test kit refills huh? Well, don't do anything except increase the FC as noted above. Liqui chlorine or regular bleach. Should be about 1/4 gallon of 10% strength, but confirm with the PoolMath as needed. Keep your pH somewhere around 7.5 - 7.8. Hopefully you get that kit soon. Don't try to adjust anything else based on the store tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.