(new fiberglass pool) Are these construction defects or are they nothing to worry about?

beej67

Jun 24, 2021
Canton GA
New pool, fiberglass, installed about three months ago. Contractor is still working on the hardscape and has not been paid in full yet.

Second image shows a thin crack in the gelcoat along the steps (a similar crack is on a bench on the opposite end of the pool). I'm aware that a crack in the gel coat is no big deal with regards to leaking, but I'm concerned that a crack forming two or three months after the pool is installed might be indicative of some kind of installation failure, improper backfill, etc. The crack was not there after installation, and only appeared in the past two weeks.

First image shows a weird shape on the bottom of the pool, which looks very regular, and won't brush off. It's not dirt. I checked my photos of the install and such a shape is not evident on the bottom of the pool when they dropped it in with the crane, nor is such a shape obvious in the stone backfill. Is that a construction defect in the pool shell itself? Is it something that can be buffed out with wet sand paper or similar?

Pool shell is a "River Pools" R-40.

edtr2gcnwpk91.jpg
zrqa21umwpk91.jpg

I would be quite concerned about ANY cracking. It indicates the shell was not supported well enough with the backfill and settling has occurred.

The other pic looks like a factory repair to the shell. While harmless (probably) I don't think I would find that acceptable, either.

IMO, you are not being too picky. That crack will NOT get better. I think you will be happy you have some financial leverage.

I personally would give River Pools a call, to get one of their reps out to see it. Cracks or damage caused by the PB or the manufacture of the shell, should be addressed by them.

Yes, that definitely seems as if it's a factory repair to the shell to me, that was obscured under the gel coat, but I didn't notice it on delivery or install. What would be the fix for something like that? Could it be sanded out while water's still in the pool, or am I looking at having to brace it, drain it, repair it, and refill it? I'm not confident my install contractor can do that because they're jackasses, but maybe River Pools could be trusted to do so.

Here's a pic of the shell as it's being dropped in. The (possible) factory repair location is about a quarter of the way down the left hand side near the wall. I didn't notice any nuances in the fiberglass while the shell was elevated, and the backfill looked level without anything weird under the pool.

PXL_20220519_143819358.MP.jpg

I personally would give River Pools a call, to get one of their reps out to see it. Cracks or damage caused by the PB or the manufacture of the shell, should be addressed by them.

They were already out once to fix a couple of cracks that happened during transport. They did a good job, but now that the pool is in place I'm worried about having to drain it. Draining it down to the line where the crack in the step is should be no problem, but the seeming defect in the first photo is about 4 feet deep, and you're not supposed to drain fiberglass pools once they're installed from my reading.

For some reason, I seem to remember another poster here with a crack in the tanning area. He said that River Pool fixed it, but that it happens all the time with that model.

As for that thing in the center, I'd go straight to RP on that - especially if you do not have much faith in the installer. My experience with RP on fixes for me (coping and decking) was very good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.