New Fiberglass Build SW Chicago

We decided on using a tile to cover up the concrete there, they should be getting to this next week. We are having another 500 sq. ft. of pavers being added next week as well and the PB needs to finish a few other punch list items. We should have had this done sooner, we kind of let our PB go a little longer on fixing the final details because our pool is up and running and we are using it, while he continues to dig holes and drop FG shells at his other builds. They did come out early in the spring to open the pool and fix the pad so there is one less thing on the punch list.

We have the exact same situation with our Imagine Pool / Coverstar combination. Right now it is just broom finished concrete with the top face of the pool exposed (like yours)

I wouldn't mind seeing how that turns out as well. We kept going back and forth about the best way to fix this and making that section of concrete match the decking seemed like a really good one.

We decided on using a tile to cover up the concrete there, they should be getting to this next week. We are having another 500 sq. ft. of pavers being added next week as well and the PB needs to finish a few other punch list items. We should have had this done sooner, we kind of let our PB go a little longer on fixing the final details because our pool is up and running and we are using it, while he continues to dig holes and drop FG shells at his other builds. They did come out early in the spring to open the pool and fix the pad so there is one less thing on the punch list.

I wouldn't mind seeing how that turns out as well. We kept going back and forth about the best way to fix this and making that section of concrete match the decking seemed like a really good one.
I'll shoot you a photo when they get it done. Right now it looks really similar to yours. Just broomed concrete. Hopefully our acid stain is done early next week and we will see how it turns out. I figure if that doesn't look good, we can go the tile route. My only concern going that way is the tile thickness and if it would mess with the feeding of the cover.

Reactions: gingrbredman
My only concern going that way is the tile thickness and if it would mess with the feeding of the cover.
Just had my PB out today and we were reviewing all the items he is going to get done and talked about this. There is an adjuster right where the cover goes in where he can tweak it so it will not be an issue. The only concern was not getting a tile that had a sharp edge so the cover can not snag on it. He was sure the height of the tiles will not be an issue, but will let you know when its all done.

Looking forward to how yours looks finished too, thanks!

Still "Under Construction", hope to be wrapped up very soon.

We went a little "untraditional" with our build, added the patio and grass before the end of last season, then tore it all up and added back more. Long story, but we are getting there.

Before Patio Extension....
IMG_5213.jpg

More patio!
New Patio 5.jpg

Finishing up the sand....
New Patio Sanding 1.jpg

We had the slide moved a little as well to make better use of it. The thing is fast and I always bottomed out in the shallow end. With the extension of the patio, it was an easy move and now it perfectly shoots you into the deep end!

New Patio Wet.jpg

Before the extension....
New Patio 6.jpg

And then the way they tied it all together. Going from an existing patio where I can not get the blocks any more to this new design....

New Patio Sanding.jpg

Unilock changed the sizes of the Beacon Hill line so there is just a small variation in color and pattern between the old and the new, but we love it.

Now that the patio is done, it is time for the finishing touches. In the midwest, as long as you are not so rural, arborvitaes do well so we lined the neighbor side with 12 of them. Ready to plant...
New Trees.jpg

Starting my pavilion build as well. Yardistry Carolina Pavilion ordered direct. A lot of parts!
Pavallion Start.jpg

Backyard Mess.jpg

While the patio and pool area is in shambles, the grass has been doing well....

New Patio 3 Backyard.jpg

And since the grass is gone in the pool area, we extended some landscaping for some river rock which ties into the house and the other areas of landscape...

New Patio 1.jpg

More work to come and hope to be out of the construction phase soon. The pool has been trouble free and we have been using is a lot. I have become the neighborhood water "expert" and have brought the test kit out to a few houses already, kinda fun.

More furniture and umbrellas to put together, but we are getting there.

On a sad note, our Wall-E up and died. Pentair Warrior 920...

RIP.jpg
Not easy dealing with Pentair on the warranty. Lots of calls and run arounds, and they decided to send someone out to look at it. They sent an HVAC/Mechanical company out! The dude had no clue what he was looking at, asked my wife how to turn it on, without it being in the pool, dropped it in, turned it on, and said he's "seen everything he needs". Thought that meant a replacement, but nope, Pentair sending a bunch of parts to try and fix "3 different things", should be here this week. In the mean time, I have been manually vacuuming like some kind of savage over here. Can't wait to get this all sorted out.

Started on some landscape lighting as well. Ordered 12 led lights that are meant to be surface mounted to a deck to light up the trees. Did not want a lot of bright light on that side of the fence and didn't want to blind the neighbors so this gives a nice mount of ambiance.

Notice the one small patch of grass near the pool. The wife and kids are insistent we keep a little over there so I haven't removed it yet. You can see the wheelbarrow marks from all the work done recently so I keep telling them it has to go now, it will not come back :ROFLMAO:

New Trees 2.jpg

And one shot at night with the new gas fire pit over looking the pool...

Fire Lights Blue.jpg

Ok, one more....
I know green is not a preferred color in the pool, can look a little "swamp like", but one of the Pentair themes "Royal" has a bit of green in it and just caught it right...

Fire Lights Green.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking good!
I also vote for no grass… it doesn’t stand a chance! :devilish::laughblue:
Haha, love it, thanks!

I do have such a large area outside the pool area with grass, no need to have any more inside the gated area that will make it in the pool. And no need to open any gates to get a lawn mower in there. Less grass also mean less mowing and more pool time!

It's funny that you have the beacon hill fossil pavers and I have the artline fossil pavers. The first time I saw a pic (in my thread) of the beacon hill they seemed more white... maybe it's the lighting but now I see how similar they are. Yours turned out fantastic!!

Last edited:
As I wait patiently for my build to begin (Still on track for Sept 1), I ordered a test kit (XL version) with a salt test, and really wasn't prepared for what actually comes in this thing. Really, it is a bit overwhelming to see all this stuff which I really don't understand all yet.

I mean, I have done all the reading, and understand the premise behind the TFP, and how all the tests "work", just didn't envision the "kit" until it came.

View attachment 157513

I wanted to have everything in one place so I ordered a double sided "parts organizer" from Amazon. This will probably change as I use the stuff, but here is the kit as it sits in the garage.

View attachment 157515

Side 2

View attachment 157516

Funny thing is I probably wont even get to use it this year. If the plan goes as "planned", the pool will go in, just in time to close it up for the winter. I have a couple neighbors who have pools who tole me to "go to town" in testing their water. Should be good practice for sure.
How do you like the double sided organizer? If you do can you post a link for it. Looks good and was about to start looking for something like this.

Started on some landscape lighting as well. Ordered 12 led lights that are meant to be surface mounted to a deck to light up the trees. Did not want a lot of bright light on that side of the fence and didn't want to blind the neighbors so this gives a nice mount of ambiance.

Notice the one small patch of grass near the pool. The wife and kids are insistent we keep a little over there so I haven't removed it yet. You can see the wheelbarrow marks from all the work done recently so I keep telling them it has to go now, it will not come back :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 353394
Did that slide need concrete footers underneath by chance? What model is that one?

It's funny that you have the beacon hill fossil pavers and I have the artline fossil pavers. The first time I saw a pic (in my thread) of the beacon hill they seemed more white... maybe it's the lighting but now I see how similar they are. Yours turned out fantastic!!
There is actually a bit of tan in the fossil color when they are new, but that seems to fade quickly. The Artline and Beacon Hill have some kind of "color lock" thing Unilock advertises that says the colors don't fade as fast as "traditional" pavers, but not with the tan part at least. The colors from the new and old (less than one year) are a little different. They will all blend together for sure.

I like the Artline you went with, it goes well with the angles you have in your build. We almost went with them, just chose the larger blocks in the end, both great choices I think.

Reactions: Snoobug
Did that slide need concrete footers underneath by chance? What model is that one?
That is the SR Smith Typhoon.

It does need concrete underneath. They poured a pretty big pad when they first installed it. Then had to extend that pad and dig out the water line when they moved it. The PB didn't charge me at all for the move, in the end, they agreed it was not right, and it really did not take all that long to do in the end. It is fast!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.