New EVO 614i Robot Pool Cleaner Review

@Uhhello How has your experience been so far?
No complaints. Was worried about 'dust' pickup with the basket style filter but I don't see any difference between my previous dolphin and new one so far cleanliness wise. It definitely gets the steps and tile MUCH better.

Reactions: Zalligan
Well, ya'll convinced me. Put my order in this morning with Marina. Should be a massive step up from the Polaris 280 of unknown age and origin (came with the house). Looking forward to trying this thing out!

Potentially useful for anyone else that comes across this - asked them a couple questions.
- Why did they recently change their recommendation from the S200 style cleaners to the Evo line
- They mentioned Dolphins are the standard, but they got tired of price creep. When they were originally "endorsed" they felt they were at a very reasonable price point for the performance (I think he said they originally sold the S200 for $599 or $699, something like that.) When the price finally raised to ~$1000, they began a search for a more affordably priced robot. They came across the Evo line, tested it themselves for a while, felt performance was comparable and it filled the niche that the early S200s met, and brought it to market.
- They haven't sold many to date, but haven't had any complaints or any sent back to them.
- The wifi version is only $70 more than the non-wifi.
- Probably self explanatory, but obviously they're developing the app and enhancing functionality throught the app. If you get the wifi version, it's plausible that functionality will continue to be enhanced. If you get the dumb version, you get what you get. Given this and the $70 difference, the wifi version was a no-brainer for me.

Last edited:
No complaints. Was worried about 'dust' pickup with the basket style filter but I don't see any difference between my previous dolphin and new one so far cleanliness wise. It definitely gets the steps and tile MUCH better.
Did you have the dual filter in your last cleaner (fine & ultra-fine or whatever)? I have that in my Active 30/S300 and when I run it after a dust storm (Phoenix area) I'll empty the filter basket and it'll be lined with an inch or two of sand mud. I'm curious if you're able to get the same collection performance with the screen filter of your Evo or if the dust just gets circulated to your main pool filter. Maybe a test for after the first monsoon of the season, those seem to be the dustiest.

Did you have the dual filter in your last cleaner (fine & ultra-fine or whatever)? I have that in my Active 30/S300 and when I run it after a dust storm (Phoenix area) I'll empty the filter basket and it'll be lined with an inch or two of sand mud. I'm curious if you're able to get the same collection performance with the screen filter of your Evo or if the dust just gets circulated to your main pool filter. Maybe a test for after the first monsoon of the season, those seem to be the dustiest.
I would definitely get 'caked' on mud/dust with the pleated filter on the old unit. I get a bit of finer particulates in new basket but the pool hasn't seen a bad dust out yet. I highly doubt its going to pick it up and more than likely kick it up a bit more for the pool side filter but we'll see.

I would definitely get 'caked' on mud/dust with the pleated filter on the old unit. I get a bit of finer particulates in new basket but the pool hasn't seen a bad dust out yet. I highly doubt its going to pick it up and more than likely kick it up a bit more for the pool side filter but we'll see.
That's what I was thinking. If you get a chance, let us know how it goes after the next storm. I'm looking for a replacement and the Evos look pretty good but I'll most likely need to stick with something that can keep up with the dust.

I’ve never owned a robotic pool cleaner before. The Evo 604 or 614iq are appealing to me. But I’m trying to decide what the usefulness of the WiFi/app function. I don’t really plan on leaving the cleaner in the pool for long periods of time when it’s not in use and if you can’t do a weekly schedule through the app I’m not sure what the benefit is to it. Any input from more seasoned users on the usefulness of the WiFi capability?

if you can’t do a weekly schedule through the app I’m not sure what the benefit is to it.
D,

I agree 100%.. For all practical purposes the app is useless..

The only reason to get the 614iq, is the 'hope' that they add a weekly timer to the app, but as far as I know that is not in the plan.

If I had to buy another one today, it would be the 604.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: sdmark
D,

I agree 100%.. For all practical purposes the app is useless..

The only reason to get the 614iq, is the 'hope' that they add a weekly timer to the app, but as far as I know that is not in the plan.

If I had to buy another one today, it would be the 604.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the response Jim!

Last edited:
Same here. I can't imagine any type of added benefit. I pull mine out of the water after every use so nothing gained from timer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any idea whether the 604 can be controlled via a 3rd party smart plug and app, like the Maytonics robots?

I normally pull my Dolphin out of the water after each use when I'm home, but when the missus and I go on vacation I leave the bot in the pool and set a schedule via the smart plug/app.

Dan,

You can turn in on and off via the app. But it has no smart plug ability..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. Are you referring to the 604 or 614 in your response? I know the 604 doesnt have its own app, but I'm wondering if it can be controlled by a 3rd party app.
BTW great review!

Dan,

Sorry for the confusion.. I was talking about the 614.. I don't believe that the 604 has an app, and I am unaware if a 3rd party app is available at all.

Only the 614 has Wi-Fi and therefore the app.

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe @Uhhello This is my first robot cleaner - Jim I believe I saw you typically leave yours in the pool and Uhh - you pull after every use. Either way, when out of the pool, what position are ya'll storing it in? Standing up on it's back-side, laying on it's side, or do you have a small platform for the bottom to rest on with tracks and brushes suspended in the air? I'm trying to be diligent about pulling and totally rinsing off after every use - we'll see how long that lasts.

Z,

When I take a robot out of the pool, if I don't plan on putting it back in right away, I just put it on a couple of small 4 x 4 wood blocks. The whole idea is for the blocks to sit underneath the robot, and keep the tracks off the ground.

I don't see this as a big issue one way or the other. I've left my dolphins just sitting on the deck for a long time and did not see any negative results.

Just to be clear.. One reason I like robots is that I don't have to see if in my pool when it is not running. So, at my house, the robot does its job and then I remove it from the pool. It gets used about every 3 or 4 days, depending on what is falling into the pool.

But, I have two rent house pools, where the robots stay in the pool 24/7 unless the tenants take it out to swim. They run every day on a weekly schedule.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yeah I take mine out and lay flat on a cardboard box in my shed. DId same with last Nautilus that lasted 5 years and still has some life left in her.

About a month ago I needed a new robot pool cleaner and I contacted Margaret at Marina Pool and Spa. My initial goal was to buy another S200 "style" robot as I have been happy with them so far.

Margaret suggested that I might want to look at a new line of robot cleaners that Marina is now carrying, the Aqua Products EVO. I was intrigued and so I opted for the EVO instead of the Dolphin robot. I have been using the EVO for about a month now and here are my initial thoughts...

The New Robot in Town

I recently had the opportunity to use an AQUA Products EVO 614i Robot Cleaner. It looks like they are under the Zodiac Pool system brand.

I have been a faithful Dolphin robot user from many years, but I thought I’d give the EVO a chance to show me what it’s got.

View attachment 495237

On the surface it appears that both the EVO and the Dolphin S200 are about equally matched. In this initial review, I point out some of the notable differences. Not really a good and bad situation, just where I noticed different engineering.

1. Dual Drive motors. The EVO has a left and right drive motor. These drive motors can run forward or reverse. This means the EVO can spin on a dime, when the two motors are going in opposite directions. You notice this instantly when the robot makes its first turn.

2. Two Active Brushes. The EVO has Dual active brushes, while the Dolphin has one active brush.

3. Large Brushes with wear indicators. The EVO’s brushes are larger and appear to be much more robust than the ones that the Dolphin uses. Because there are two drive motors the brushes are split between the left and right sides. The brushes in the front are the same size as the brushes in the back. The Dolphin has a smaller brush in the back.

View attachment 495238

4. Filter basket. The EVO’s filter basket is about half the size of the Dolphin basket. It has a one-piece screen-like filter vs. the Dolphin which has a 4-piece pleated filter. I initially thought this would be an issue, as I have always used the pleated Dolphin filters. But, after many cleaning cycles, I’m beginning to like the screen filter better. I think my dislike of the screen filters is because I used them on the Dolphin and they lasted about a month before they got holes in the them and became useless. As much as I like the Dolphin’s pleated filters, the EVO’s screen filter was much easier to clean. Although the Dolphin has a much larger basket, I am not sure it matters as I doubt the Dolphin can fill the basket due to its inlet design.

View attachment 495239

5. Water Inlet Differences. The Dolphin sucks up debris into the center of their basket, through an open-ended cloth bag. The bag is to prevent the debris from leaking back into the pool when you pull the robot out of the water. It certainly helps contain the debris, but it does not stop everything. It has a negative side in that it can get clogged with large debris and then nothing can get sucked up into the basket. The EVO does it differently. It sucks up the debris through a tube and into the top of the robot and then drops the debris into the basket. When you pull the EVO out of the water, none of the debris go back into the pool.

View attachment 495243

View attachment 495246

6. Filter Area Design. The EVO has an almost water-tight area with the suction motor and impeller along with the filter basket. Not sure if this a plus or not. It does make the EVO harder to sink as it acts almost like a boat. You lower it into the water with the rear brushes pointing down. Where you can just throw the Dolphin in the pool, and it just sinks on its own. Edit.. To be clear the EVO sinks on its own, it just take a little longer than the Dolphin.

7. The Power Cord. The cord on the EVO is much larger in diameter and stiffer than the Dolphin’s cord. I had great hopes this would mean that the cord would not tangle. I was wrong. I have not had it long enough to know what will happen as it gets broken in, but running the EVO several times in a row, without removing it from the pool, induced the same basic tangle that I have seen in all my Dolphin robots. Edit. If I run the robot, like I normally do, and clean it after every run, the cable does not tangle.

View attachment 495247

8. The Swivel. The EVO has a much more robust looking swivel compared to the Dolphin. The EVO combines the cable float and the swivel in one device. Neither swivel seems to swivel enough to keep the cable from tangling.

View attachment 495248

9. The Power Supply Connector. The only thing on the EVO that appears a little out of place and rather cheap is the connector on the power supply end of the cable. It just plugs into the Power Supply with two little snaps. Maybe I’m just used to military cannon plug style connectors, but I like the Dolphin’s connector better. The EVO’s connector does appear that it could be replaced easier, while the Dolphin is more molded in place and does not look to be easily replaceable. Not sure I have ever seen bad one.

View attachment 495249

10. DIY Repair. I have some experience with the assembly and disassembly of the S200 style Dolphins and it is very easy. At first glance I don’t see how to disassemble the EVO or if repair parts are even available. Not something I plan to investigate until the EVO is out of warranty.

11. Water Line Cleaning. When cleaning the water line tile, the Dolphin moves sideway because a gate turns and causes water to shoot out of a vent on the sides of the plastic housing. This forces the robot to move along the tile line for about 2 or 3 feet at a time. The EVO does not have any directional vents, but does move along the tile line. It appears to me that the robot floats at a slight angle and while the brushes clean the tile line, they also cause the robot to move along the tile line.

12. The Power Supply. The EVO’s power supply allows you to select either floor only, or floors and walls/tile line. The cycle time is 1.5 hours for floor only and 2.5 hours for everything. Both the EVO and Dolphin power supplies are water resistance. The EVO’s power supply has a Power Light that is on anytime the power supply is plugged into AC power. You would assume when you pushed the Start/Stop button that it would light up, but it does not. The Power light flashes once when you push the Start button. I find that odd as it is hard to tell if the Robot is on or off. If you have the EVO 614i, then the Power supply has a Wi-Fi button. Edit.. It appears the idea is to use the app to start or stop the robot.. It works fine from the power supply once you understand the start stop button does not light up.

View attachment 495251

13. Wi-Fi Control. The EVO 604 and 614i are the same basic robot, but the 614i has Wi- Fi control. Not that it actually controls much. I am not sure what the App is for other than when you sign up for the iAquaLink app you need to give them just about everything including location of any birth marks. Quite invasive for what you get. The plus side is that it came right on line and connected once I entered the 80 pages of personal info. The app lets you change the cleaning mode from floors to floors and walls, and lets you start or stop the robot, but it does not allow you to ‘drive’ the robot around. It appears the drive mode is an option for the more expensive models. The app displays a big spinning clock showing how much time is left in the cleaning cycle. I pushed stop and it stopped. I pushed start and it did not return to work, it just started over. It does give you some info on the robot itself, like how may total hours run, S/N, F/W installed and other such info. I don’t see the value in what the app does, but it came with the unit. Edit... I'm told that the app for the 614i will be updated in the next few weeks to include the ability to drive the robot and to make it drive itself to the surface at a wall so it is easy to remove from the pool. I guess time will tell if this happens or not.

14. Warranty... Both the EVO and the Dolphin have a Two-year warranty.

15. Unknow life expectancy. Dolphin 3 to 5 years. Edit. This is key in my mind, but we won't know how reliably the EVO is for several years...

16. Main Drain Hang Ups. So far, I have run the EVO for about 50 hours and it has never hung up on the main drain. The Dolphin would hang up on the main drain about 10% of the time. I believe that because of the dual drive motors, that the EVO will not have this issue, but time will tell.

17. I did not find anything that would keep me from buying this unit again. See #18

18. I assumed you could run the unit on weekly schedule, but I now realize that is not an option. For me that is not an issue as I normally only use the robot two or three times a week, but it will not work for a lot of pool owners. You’d think it would be an easy App fix. I also do not see where you can control it from an automated electrical outlet. Edit. The app is supposed to be update (automatically) but my understanding is that the timer option is not part of this update. This makes no sense to me, but we will see.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, many thanks to you and others who contributed to this thread!! Your review was exactly the detail I was hoping to find. The only thing I find concerning is the possible lack of DIY repair...but I understand why that isn't known yet. I talked to Margaret earlier today and the 614 is what she recommended for me, so of course I came here to search for reviews. :) She was super helpful and I really appreciate the comparison chart she sent.

A few questions for the experienced 614 users:

- I read a review for the 614 on another website that said a lot of leaves/debri fall out when picked up. I expect that will happen somewhat with any robot, but has that been anyone's experience here? Leaves and pollen/dust are my biggest concern, so I want a filter big enough to hold the leaves without cleaning out every few minutes, but fine enough to pick up the pollen and dust.

- Is the suction good compared to other models?

- Is the "easy pick-up mode" truly helpful?

- Can someone give me an approximate weight? I plan to take it in and out of the pool each time. (I might purchase a "generic" caddy from Amazon...but not sure yet.)

- Wifi isn't something that I was looking for, but I can see how that would be helpful in case it misses a spot. Any other features or models I should consider?

ETA---the other models I have considered are the Polaris 8050 and Polaris Neo, but open to suggestions!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
A few questions for the experienced 614 users:

- I read a review for the 614 on another website that said a lot of leaves/debri fall out when picked up. I expect that will happen somewhat with any robot, but has that been anyone's experience here? Leaves and pollen/dust are my biggest concern, so I want a filter big enough to hold the leaves without cleaning out every few minutes, but fine enough to pick up the pollen and dust.

- Is the suction good compared to other models?

- Is the "easy pick-up mode" truly helpful?

- Can someone give me an approximate weight? I plan to take it in and out of the pool each time. (I might purchase a "generic" caddy from Amazon...but not sure yet.)

- Wifi isn't something that I was looking for, but I can see how that would be helpful in case it misses a spot. Any other features or models I should consider?

- Mine has done well to pick up and trap fairly fine dirt and deteriorated organic matter. I have a big elm hanging over half of my pool as well as an oak just behind it, and several crepe myrtles in the yard as well, so any time the wind blows, Crud blows in my pool. I haven't had trouble with things falling out either. Maybe if you tipped it upside down while removing from the pool? The trap door is plastic and spring loaded so unless it was malfunctioning, I don't see it sticking open and letting debris out. Ditto to what others have said about cleaning being a breeze. Just dump it out, hose it off, and it's ready to go again.

- No experience with other models (coming from Polaris pressure-side cleaner). My pool is cleaner than it's ever been, but I wouldn't say it's totally spotless - occasionally misses a leaf or a dirty spot. If i was anal I'd just run another cycle.

- It takes some getting used to, but i like the piece of mind of not pulling it up by its cord. As others have mentioned, there is a slight delay to the inputs from the app. Really all the lift feature is is the remote control ability with fewer buttons. Once you get the hang of it, you turn to point at a wall, and then tell it to go forward and it crawls right up the wall where you can easily bend over and grab the handle to pull out. My pool is quite irregularly shaped with several ledges so a little trickier to get things lined up but it works fine.

- I don't have a comparison on weight, but I've read people say that it is lighter than comparable models. Would be happy to get you an actual weight when I get home this evening.

- I chose wifi since it was only $70 more and they've shown a willingness to push new features to the app (remote control, lift feature) so I did so in the hopes that more features may be released. That said, whether I not they're useful or I use them is anyones guess. I do appreciate the notification it sends when a cleaning cycle is complete. Allows me to minimize it's time in the salt water and put the power unit away while the robot dries.

Reactions: appstategrad
Haven't had any issues with 'stuff' falling back out when draining. Previous droid would do that every time. New droid is lighter as well especially since you can let the water drain back into pool instead of yanking the whole thing out full of water.

Reactions: appstategrad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support