new DIY poo -l help w pump run times (hayward ecostar) and aquaplus w T15

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
I got a thread in under construction but figured you guys here know better. I got pool filled and plumbing done last weekend and started slamming pool I had residual green water that I thermally exchanged w fill water to thin out starting saturday afternoon. yesterday pool was sparkling clear im gonna do an OCLT 2nite im positive im good tho. I tested my water (have tftkit) and i had 400ppm salt on fill water. I have 13k gallons so I got nine 40lb bags of morton pool salt (only thing avail here except pricey pool store salt). I know to add about 7 and test and go slow to not overshoot, and Im letting FC drop naturally if I pass OCLT 2moro. So far Ive been running pump 24/7 at 75% to clear water, today I backed it down to 50% because I cleaned out filters last night lots of dirt in them. I can figure out the automation setup and the T15 startup and all that.

Ive been reading and theres alot of differences of opinion. How long should I run the pump for and what percentage? Ive read 1200rpm is needed to make switch close contacts. I know to leave salt in for 24hrs then test and go from there but what setting on SWG I read 50% is a start. And the pool gets full sun in morn till early afternoon then all shade from house, when is best time to run pump? daytime to make FC while sun is on it or at night? When should I bump up my CYA to 70 Im at 35ish now. anybody with similar setup plz tell me what you do with yours.

thanks in advance

You run your pump long enough to create the chlorine you need and to clean your pool. So you need to determine what works for you.

Your RPM for the SWCG can be as low as 1000 rpm or as high as 2000 rpm. Experiment. When you get to a RPM that the flow switch will not close add 100 RPM and run pump at that speed. If your pool stays clean at that speed, you are good.

Do you have a robot or suction / pressure side cleaner?

- - - Updated - - -

I personally run our pump and SWCG in the daytime when the sun is on the pool. If you have tiered electrical rates take that into consideration.

Be sure you test your FC each day for awhile right before your SWCG starts to generate each day. That should be the lowest point your FC is each day.

we have flat pricing on electric so doesnt matter. I was thinking of daytime too when sun is on it. Have a robot I just ordered today just using cheapo kit w pool for now manually with skimmer adapter.

how long do you run your pump for w ur size pool mknauss

6 hours per day from May through September. Winter down to an hour every other day.

Robot will do cleaning except for skimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.