New DIY build in Oklahoma

Well I had to go out of town at the last minute for a couple of weeks on business. Got back to work this weekend, we got the walls up and staked in, and the drains in. I called a pool co to give me a estimate on the vermiculite bottom and he said it would be $1800.00 and that is not including the materials, so I have decided me and my boy will give it a go. I can think of a few other things I can spend $1800.00 on, I just hope I don’t regret my decision. I am hoping to pour the concrete collar around the walls by Tuesday.

Is there any need to put rebar in the collar like you would in a footing.

Tomorrow we plan on drilling and bolting up the stairs, any tips on this, the stairs came with six PVC posts should I put more than the six in. There is 5 spots for posts per stair.

Attachments

• DSCN1051.JPG
    DSCN1051.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCN1052.JPG
    DSCN1052.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 273
  • DSCN1045.JPG
    DSCN1045.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 273
kponytail said:
I called a pool co to give me a estimate on the vermiculite bottom and he said it would be $1800.00 and that is not including the materials, so I have decided me and my boy will give it a go. I can think of a few other things I can spend $1800.00 on, I just hope I don’t regret my decision.

I got a very similiar bid and had the very same feelings. I am going to give mine a go, I have the vermiculite sitting on a skid hope to start my install mid to late July.

Tried that no luck, I think I will have to start calling pool installers.

Getting ready to pour the concrete collar Thursday any tips or suggestions or things you wish you would have done before the pool.

i'm unfamiliar with the pool mix. I've heard of but not familiar. We just made ours. Portland and vermiculite with a paddle mixer. If it's hot a wetter mix is better. They have lots of resources for the exact mix on the net. If it's dry, I would wet the walls pretty well before putting down the vermiculite. If the clay sucks out all the moisture the concrete will be weak and most likely crack. You do not want it to dry out. You want it to cure. Make sure you have some manpower. 90lb bags of portland will wear you out. we used one guy to mix, one on a wheelbarrow and two to trowel. It does need to be smooth you will see any pits or trowel marks in the light at night. The verm does naturally have a slightly coarse appearance with air holes. Run grades regularly. It's easy to get off your mark working a large flat area. My last bit of advice, it's hard work be prepared. Putting the verm down whooped me!!! Please feel free, This board got me through our pool. It can save you too!!! Good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
8corneflakes thank you for the info. I found pool krete (it is a just add water mix) for $17.00 a bag and ordered 58 bags and it should be here for the weekend. I am pouring the concrete collar at 8am tomorrow. Did you do a full 8" thick of concrete for the collar, I ordered 7 yards enough to do 8" all the way around and a 4'x6' equipment pad. I am already whooped I can’t wait till the weekend for the verm.

On the collar, make sure the bottoms of the walls are locked in well. Also, be sure the concrete slopes away from the walls so the water will shed away. We didn't do 8". Our pool suggested 4-6". It would be smart to be sure you have some man power because it will set up fast.

My wife and I LOLed when we saw how excited you are about verm day. The wife says she would rather have a root canal. Enjoy that excited feeling while you can!

Well I am a little bit closer, the collar came out ok dispite the 100+ degree heat.

8corneflakes - the bags of pool krete came in 40 lbs so that will help a little but there is 58 of them I can feel my back ache know.

Attachments

• DSCN1056.JPG
    DSCN1056.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN1057.JPG
    DSCN1057.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN1058.JPG
    DSCN1058.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 155
kyle11 - If you buy from royal or if you did, make sure you inventory the small stuff. As I progress I am starting to find things they forgot.

coping clips - they said they wont send them
coping self tapping screws - wont send
1 out of 4 angel steel plate to attach wall panels together - wont send Had to buy from them $40.00

these are the small things that come all bundled up in one box and the inentory sheet they give you is terrible, Im starting to worry about what else they forgot to send.

K thanks. I just got the kit in Monday. I have not went through everything but will. They sent me the wrong pump but they have paid for return shipping. I have everything that was on the list I believe. I think I have 7 days to make sure so I am going to go through it this weekend better to make sure. GL on the rest of your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kponytail said:
kyle11 - If you buy from royal or if you did, make sure you inventory the small stuff. As I progress I am starting to find things they forgot.

coping clips - they said they wont send them
coping self tapping screws - wont send
1 out of 4 angel steel plate to attach wall panels together - wont send Had to buy from them $40.00

these are the small things that come all bundled up in one box and the inentory sheet they give you is terrible, Im starting to worry about what else they forgot to send.

What do you mean by angel steel plates? Are you talking about the corner pieces that connect the Grecian corner? I purchased the exact kit you did is why I am asking. I know I got the coping clips actually got 22 when I was suppose to get 20. Pretty sure I got the screws also. Plus the huge pack of nuts and bolts. Who knows if all that is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kyle11- yes the corner pieces, I think the shipping co lost my stuff, the were terrible.

well I started the vermiculite, the pics show how much I got done in 5 hours, and that is all my back could take for one day.

Attachments

• DSCN1068.JPG
    DSCN1068.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN1069.JPG
    DSCN1069.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN1070.JPG
    DSCN1070.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 124

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.