nightswimming

Jun 12, 2009
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Unless I talk myself out of it, gonna give this a shot this year once temp.s warm up.
Intent is to prep a section then seal vs. trying to do too much at one time.
Have dremel and such to prep with. Original seal lasted 10 years plus. Not sure what sand to use on top. Have read forum posts on this subject. Gonna remove old backer rod, clean and blow out joint, tape off edges, new backer rod, seal, place sand.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Get good knee pads.

Use thick enough backer rod so you don't need a deep layer of sealant.

I used a generic sand from Lowes. Seems to work fine. It's grayish color matched the sealant and other existing grout well enough. Here's what I did wrong I won't do again. I wasn't convinced the sand was embedding well enough, so I patted it in with my fingers, like all four, perpendicular to the joint. All that did was leave ridges and valleys the size of my fingers, which didn't self-level after, so they're still there! Next time I'll just pour the sand on liberally, and then vacuum it off, well after it dries. I don't actually know the "best way" to apply the sand, I just know a wrong way...

Oh, the first time I removed the old sealant with a painter's multi-tool and/or a knife. Pretty much by hand. Not sure a Dremel will cut it. This is what I'm going to use next time:

I'll report back if that works or not. I'm due to redo mine shortly, too.

I used a skateboard, to move more easily, and a cordless multitool with a caulk blade to remove the old Sikaflex. I also bought a really thick kneeling pad - and also used knee pads.

So far after two years the Deck-O-Seal is doing much better than the Sikaflex did.

@santacruzpool, great tips. I'm going to try Deck-O-Seal this time. Do they have different types? Can you share exactly what you used? And can you share what a caulk blade looks like. I bought a cordless multitool just for this purpose, but haven't even used the thing yet, never have used one. I'm a little nervous about chipping the materials. I have concrete on one side of the joint and much softer flagstone on the other. Any advice about the process would be much appreciated.

Bookmarked! Thx.

@santacruzpool, a million questions:

- The description says it's carbon steel, but also says "soft." Which is it? If the tip itself is something other than steel, might it go easy on my flagstone?

- Would one blade do a pool, or do they wear down, should I get more than one?

- One of the questions answers "Yes, it will fit on DeWalt's multitool." Does that sound right?

OK, just three questions...

Last edited:
I finally bought a Dewalt multi tool, do not have any idea why I waited so long... They work great on so many things its crazzzzzzzy.. :)

Yah, the expansion joint project was my excuse to finally get one. But it's still in the box! (Probably because I reheeheealy don't want to redo the joint, again! This will be my second time because I used the cheap silaflex knockoff from Lowes, and it didn't last!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dirk, the tool has a rubber mount that makes it more forgiving if I remember correctly. It is certainly a metal blade - but it doesn't have much bite on something like stone - I think I held it against my concrete a few times and it barely did anything. It did help peel the old stuff off nicely. I am sure you could still damage your natural stone if you aren't careful, but if you keep the blade in the grove parallel to your stone surface, and you don't force it onto the stone itself it should work well.

Essentially, it makes your mulititool into an electric utility knife - so it cuts through the old stuff really easily - not quite like butter, but almost that easy.

Reactions: Dirk
OK, so our pools are close in size. How many bags of Deck-O-Seal did you use? (I know joint depth will matter.) And please tell me you have a better source than Amazon! $50 for a 32oz bag? Say it ain't so.

I used 2 bags - but I have a cover, so only 3 sides to do if/when I get around to doing the whole pool.

I did one side and the end - so 30ft and 15ft. I just ran out at the end and could have used a tiny bit more. So around 20ft per bag for my setup.

I have a pretty thick joint along part of my pool and had to use 1/2" thick backer rod for a large section of it. The rest of it needs 3/8" backer rod.

I bought from a company that Bdavis recommended at the time (from Arizona I believe?).

Reactions: Dirk
Thanks gentlemen, appreciate the comments.
So, as my DYI projects generally go, I am over budget and way behind on completion time.
Just began removing old deckoseal, with DeWalt multi tool.
Removal with this tool is most certainly the way to go, with the blades shown in this post.
Also, my b&m pool store has discontinued use of the deckoseal, and are using a 29 oz + or - caulk product. Boss products 822 joint seal. Might regret it but I’m gonna go this route for several different reasons. Presently ordering an electric caulk gun to allow installation of this product without damaging my extremities.
The time limitations and potential application mess with the two component deckoseal has me going a different route.
Will post results...if I ever get anything accomplished.
Kindest regards.

So, as my DYI projects generally go, I am over budget and way behind on completion time.
Just began removing old deckoseal, with DeWalt multi tool.
Removal with this tool is most certainly the way to go, with the blades shown in this post.
Also, my b&m pool store has discontinued use of the deckoseal, and are using a 29 oz + or - caulk product. Boss products 822 joint seal. Might regret it but I’m gonna go this route for several different reasons. Presently ordering an electric caulk gun to allow installation of this product without damaging my extremities.
The time limitations and potential application mess with the two component deckoseal has me going a different route.
Will post results...if I ever get anything accomplished.
Kindest regards.
Update on progress:
Did a test section a few weeks ago and learned a few things;
1. the product appears to be fine with cure/solidification time of two weeks or so.
2. The large electric caulk gun is hard to handle but practice will help.
3. Again, the multi tool is a life saver for cleaning the old caca off.
4. A little to warm to apply caul product right now… will restart project when temp. s are lower.
5. The 25’ ft I have placed is acceptable and I am satisfied.
Thanks for any comments in advance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.