New Construction - What do I need to know?

Lafayette

May 5, 2019
Texas
Hi All!

I am considering building a small (10’ by 18’) pool in a new construction townhome in Texas. I’m thinking about using it as a large spa in the winter. The property will have a gas line.

I’ve ready many topics on TFP about existing issues, but none about selecting new equipment. So pool guys, what would you recommend if you could design from scratch? Build material? Piping and valving design? Maintenance items? I’ve read the robots are the way to go, but are there any better options so not see the robot all the time?

I’m thinking the plaster route for two reasons:
1. I just like the feel as opposed to the fiberglass and vinyl.
2. The size may need to be custom because of the space restrictions. It’s in a town home courtyard.

Welcome to TFP.

What is your budget? We can spec out the $30K pool or the $300K pool.

You going to Owner Build or hire a Pool Builder?

Tell us about your property and the type of pool you have in mind. Size?

Lots of build threads here for you to see what others have done.

Hi ajw22. I’m looking at around $60K, but then again, the quality of pool will drive what I’m willing to spend.

I’ll have the general contractor hire a pool builder. I’ve been reading the threads about how to select a PB, but I want to know what I want first.

The lot is a townhome lot. The pool will be between the garage and house, in almost a courtyard. Space will be 30’x26’, which is why I’m shooting for a 10’x18’ pool. Won’t have to worry about trees.

I looked around for some threads addressing this stuff, but couldn’t find any.

First of all, I would get multiple bids. Are you in Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio?

The detail is lacking detail, but a couple of comments:
- No heater is listed
- Get more detail on "Pentair equipment"
- Is there automation, if so, what?
- No cleaner is listed
- Nothing wrong with a sand filter, but I would consider cartridge or DE as they filter finer particles
- Do they have a better drawing, as that is literally just a rectangle? Are we looking at a spa on the right, surrounding the pool? Is anything elevated like the spa, wall, water features?

Those are good questions. The drawing actually came from me. I can't decide If I want the spa elevated or not, which is on the right. This pool is in west Texas. I was thinking about a DE filter. Do i need an SWCG too?

You dont need a SWCG with a DE filter, but I would recommend one as that is easier than adding chlorine.

On the automation, I would stick with Pentair automation so it will talk to all of your equipment. Their choices are Intellitouch and the newer Intellicenter. I went with the Intellicenter and it was priced almost the same as the Intellitouch.

JJ_Tex - I just read your entire build thread. Congrats on your new pool!

I'm thinking about doing the EXACT same equipment set up as you. A few questions:
1. How is the Intellicenter? Was it simple to set up and is it fully functional for all your equipment and usage scenarios?
2. Does it automatically actuate both the TO/FROM spa valves when you want to heat the spa up?
3. Do you have a blower or anything for jets in your spa?
4. What are the dimensions of your equipment pad? I am going to be extremely tight on equipment space. I may even need to build a rack to mount the filter above the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.