Tampa, FL (Specifically Apollo Beach)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey guys, looking for your input. I've read a bunch and learned a lot from this site. Finally pulling the trigger on this pool. We've met with a bunch of builders in the last few months. Nothing is signed yet, I plan on getting the contract today and taking a few days to look everything over. So here are the details.
All Pentair equipment
Pentair 3 HP VSF pump
Intellicenter control
Intellichlor IC40 (should I get the Ichlor30?)
3 Microbrite LED's (should I just get 2)
320 Cartridge filter Pool will be caged in so no leaves will be entering just dust
2 Electric valves for jets control
Overflow and auto leveler
8 therapy jets, 4 on the deep end seating area and 4 on the low end seating area.
Installing one pump so I will only run one set of jets at a time.
No blower on the jets, he will install an air line on the outside to pull air from there. Is this okay?
Install umbrella/table sleeve on the low end seating area, we might want a table in the future.
Install volleyball sleeves. Not sure exactly where.

Pool info
Gunite
16x35 with a 7x5 cutout seating area.
Going to be 3.5' -6' deep.
Pebble Sheen Blue Granite with Abalone
Decking is going to be concrete pavers, waiting on price for Travertine
Overall patio size is is 50' wide and 40' out that doesn't include the 8' already in place behind the house.
Space around the pool is
3' on the deep end
9' on the back side of the pool
12' along the low side of the pool
and 15' from the house to the pool.

The PB was adding some in floor jets, not for cleaning but he said it would help with warming the pool. Any input? We aren't getting a heater yet, if we want to we will add an electric heat pump later. It will be plumbed and wired for it though.

Cost was at $75k, waiting to see how much is the travertine.
Edited the picture to cover PB info and personal info.

Attachments

• Pool layout 2.jpg
    Pool layout 2.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 153
Meeting with PB today to go over everything and finalize contract details before signing. Can anyone give me some feedback?
I've heard that there can be issues with the abalone addition to the PebbleSheen. We have Blue Granite and like it.
We didn't go under 4 feet of deck space around the pool. You may find that 3 feet is tighter than you like.

Thanks for the reply, I’d love to see the color of your pool with the blue granite. Not too many examples online. We decided to not go with the abalone shell. It was a significant price difference and we decided to upgrade to Traverine pavers instead.
We are still debating on the in floor system. It will be 3 heads, not so much for cleaning, but to recirculate the water and push heated water from the bottom if we get a heater later on.
Any opinions on this?
I've heard that there can be issues with the abalone addition to the PebbleSheen. We have Blue Granite and like it.
We didn't go under 4 feet of deck space around the pool. You may find that 3 feet is tighter than you like.

We just have two main drains in the deep end. No issue with circulation of warm water when we heat it. As for cleaning, we have the Dolphin S200 robot and love it. IMG_20200530_192727.jpg . Here's the water last week. Photos make it a little more blue than it is.
This post has a picture that is more typical of the color, but some times of day it looks bluer.

Last edited:
Just met with an irrigation company today. It's gonna be $1500 to move a bunch of lines and relocate some valves. We'll be adding another zone for drip lines around the pool. This thing is already stressing me out and I haven't even signed the contract yet. Don't want to think about removing and relocating trees too.

Just met with an irrigation company today. It's gonna be $1500 to move a bunch of lines and relocate some valves. We'll be adding another zone for drip lines around the pool. This thing is already stressing me out and I haven't even signed the contract yet. Don't want to think about removing and relocating trees too.
We just capped our irrigation system pipes in the pool area before the build, and after everything else was completed, went back and fixed the irrigation system. Anything in the vicinity will get destroyed during the build.

Yeah I had him cap it and remove the valves that were in the way. Looks like I won't need the irrigation anytime soon with all the rain. I have a feeling it's going to be a long build. But they'll be back after the pool is done.
That $1,500 quote will make my husband, who's been repairing our irrigation system for the last month, very happy. Like you, we don't need to water anything right now. I just drained about 3 in from our pool just for today's rain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't even want to think about sod. I'm already looking at going about 8k over what we budgeted. There goes our pool furniture.
My irrigation reroute was around the same price with a new zone installed. Regrading and sod is another cost to factor in.
I was little over 4k with the irrigation reroute grading and replacing the sod without new landscaping.

I talked to irrigation companies yesterday. Cost us $150 in Austin to have him cap it off and remove valves. Then we will see what they quote us after build is done. No sense in trying to reroute yet.
I’m not doing anything now. Just got the price of what will need to be done. He already capped it for now and removed the valves and sprinkler that was in the way.

Okay, I locked in the contract and made the deposit. Now we wait. Made some slight changes. We added the 3 head in floor circulation. We have the option to back out of it if we change our mind before they start. We decided to go with travertine deck. Changed the screen doors to 4 foot wide. Added the volleyball sleeves, we are also having them run the wiring for a heat pump in case we want it later. I will also have them run a water line in case we want to add a water feature or a slide later on.
Any opinions on this?

Attachments

• pool plan.PNG
    pool plan.PNG
    149.1 KB · Views: 74
Looks good. The travertine deck will be beautiful. We are tall folk. We went to 6.5 ft deep and it doesn't cover my tallest son's head. In hindsight, I wish I had gone a bit deeper. 6 is pretty shallow. We love having the heat pump. You won't get your pool until close to the end of the season. You might want to just go for it now and plan to extend the season.

Good luck!!

We added the 3 head in floor circulation. We have the option to back out of it if we change our mind before they start.
The pretty significant majority of folks who have in-floor cleaners on this forum indicate they would NOT do it again.

A very good robot does even more cleaning at less cost. If it were my pool I would not install an infloor cleaner.

The PB was adding some in floor jets, not for cleaning but he said it would help with warming the pool.
Something is not right about that. You need clarification. The less penetrations you have in your gunite, the better off you are. In floor jets WILL NOT help warm the pool in any meaningful amount.

Something is not right about that. You need clarification. The less penetrations you have in your gunite, the better off you are. In floor jets WILL NOT help warm the pool in any meaningful amount.
His argument was that it would help recirculate water from the bottom. Heat rising would keep the pool temps balanced. The charge is 1500 for the 3 heads, I can cancel that before they start the project.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.