New Construction - Ideas for Spillway

Kj78unlv

Aug 27, 2020
Las Vegas
We are currently building a pool and spa and just completed shotcrete. We have two 12" spillway openings from the spa to the pool that will allow the water to descend about 24". We had originally thought we were not going to add anything to the spillway opening besides the waterline tile (which does not come in bullnose). However, we talked to a fellow pool-owner today and he said we should consider some kind of spillway insert that will help project the water so it does just dribble down the side of the wall. The only inserts I can find are copper and start at about $200 a piece. I refuse to spend that much money on something to help project the water a couple of inches. There has got to be other options. FYI - we have not decided if we are going to cover the spillways or keep them completely open.

So....any ideas on a more economical solution to create an extended ledge to help the water spill out further?

We are currently building a pool and spa and just completed shotcrete. We have two 12" spillway openings from the spa to the pool that will allow the water to descend about 24". We had originally thought we were not going to add anything to the spillway opening besides the waterline tile (which does not come in bullnose). However, we talked to a fellow pool-owner today and he said we should consider some kind of spillway insert that will help project the water so it does just dribble down the side of the wall. The only inserts I can find are copper and start at about $200 a piece. I refuse to spend that much money on something to help project the water a couple of inches. There has got to be other options. FYI - we have not decided if we are going to cover the spillways or keep them completely open.

So....any ideas on a more economical solution to create an extended ledge to help the water spill out further?
Our builder used the same travertine as the coping and spa top/ledge. It hangs over about an inch, I think.

Attachments

• PXL_20210313_145453162.jpg
    PXL_20210313_145453162.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 40
K,

The key is that any stone ledge, needs to have a surface tension breaker.. this is usually a slot on the bottom side of the ledge, about 1/4 inch deep, by 1/4 inch wide running across the ledge..

Without this slot, some of the water will stick to the stone, and wrap around the end, and flow down the wall.. The slot keeps this from happening.

Thanks,

Jim R.

On all my pools the spillways are “back-cut” during the Shotcrete process towards the spa (see picture) for two reasons. #1 the water will build up back pressure before breaking tension on the end of the tile and will push the water farther away from the spillway wall. #2 when the pump is off the tile stays under the water and has less chance of a salt deposit building up on the horizontal tiles inside the spillway. This process is inexpensive but must be done early in the construction, Ray.

Attachments

• AA3987CD-7D53-481A-9F1A-AB1FD7F031C1.jpeg
    AA3987CD-7D53-481A-9F1A-AB1FD7F031C1.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 42
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.