Apr 6, 2014
phoenix
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Saline Generating Systems Breeze 540
Hi everyone, I refilled my existing IG SWG pool this week. Salt was added yesterday and some chlorine bleach last night to get things kick-started while starting to add the 4 lb of CYA. My FC this morning was 6.5 with 0 CC. CYA finished dissolving via sock method this afternoon and I took these readings. Can someone help me be sure I’m on the right track?

Measurements about one hour after the last of CYA was in:
FC 5.5
CC .5 (pink was *very* faint so maybe less)
PH 7.4
TA 130
CYA 40
CH 240-280 (purple specks were making it hard for me to tell if it was purple or blue)
Salt test strip seems to indicate 4000 ppm. I only added 320 lbs and was expecting to have to add more so I’m either off on the size of my pool or there was a lot of salt lurking in my pipes?

From my reading here, it looks like I won’t know my true CYA reading until later this week. I am guessing I will need to add a bit more but I am trying to approach it conservatively.
In the past, I have had to add quite a bit of muriatic acid so I am hesitant to try and raise my pH right now. Is there anything I should do tonight considering my current readings? My family would love to dive in before dinner if we can!

pH is fine. Overall the numbers look good. As you state, test CYA in a few days or so and add more. Be prepared for high FC loss with the low CYA.
Salt test strips are not all that accurate. If the SWCG is happy and generating, let it be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.