New Cell or Whole new unit ?

mattcony

Sep 7, 2021
Florida
Hello All - new to the forum and new to pools in general

We have had our pool around 7 months, it was in the house when we bought it. Its quite a simple setup from what I can tell. It has a Hayward pump with a 2.2hp single speed motor and a Hayward AquaRite generator using a T-CELL-15. From the serial number on the cell it was made October 2014 so must be end of life. Its started to read low salt all the time even after cleaning & recalibration, salt level in the pool is good reading approx. 3200.

The FW in the AquaRite box is too old to work with some of the 3rd party cells you see available at a cheaper cost so i'm stuck purchasing a genunine one at around $650-$700 currently.

Given the age of the system would you go for a whole new setup or just replace the cell, thoughts, comments & recomendations most welcome !

Thanks
Matt

Welcome to TFP Matt :)

That is a hard one.. at 700 bucks its a harder pill to swallow.. That is half of a brand new system... and your SWG brain is not getting younger and may stop working all together and then you are out of the brain and a new cell that will not work in anything else except a new/old AquaRite box...

I really think it is time to get a new one.. Would you have a company put it in or will you be doing the work... As you have seen hayward works great but the warranty is only if a company puts it in.. If you are doing the work, Circupool is the way to go as they can have up to an 8 year warranty on DIY install...

Thank you for the quick reply, and some great knowledge around Haywood warrantys that I did not know. Yes plan is for self-install and had just started to look at Circupool options along with Pentair. I'm quite heavily into the "smart home" side using home assistant so some sort of app or integration would be a bonus if looking at a whole new unit.

A SWG is one of the interesting ones for automations.. They only turn on and off at certain times you set... Mine is connected to an Intermatic system and I set the hours.. It could easily be connected using "smart home" things and there have been some who have done exactly that on the forum..

Get at least 2 times the size of your pool or the biggest one you can afford... The RJ 60 is a beast... Best Sales, Rebates, Deals, and Promotions | DSP

I love Pentair but there automation and pumps and SWG all work together and the price is up there... I went Pentair pump, now V Green VS motor and Pentair Cart Filter but did not do there automation as the expense is up there...

I'm quite heavily into the "smart home" side using home assistant so some sort of app or integration would be a bonus if looking at a whole new unit.
I used a $14 Sonoff Wifi switch for my 240 volt system. The Ewelink app is pretty solid and it works well with Alexa, Google Home, and Smart Things.

If you want a full blown automation without a panel, there is this. It will automate your lights, Chlorinators, Chemistry Controllers, Pumps, Schedules, Heaters, and the like. It also has connectivity to many home automation systems such as SmartThings, Vera, Home Assistant, Hubitat, and Homeseer. It also has full blown integrations for other platforms through websockets, MQTT, and Rest. The UI can run on browser formatted for your desktop, touchscreen, and even your watch.

Thanks for the info, Nixie Pool & Raspipool are really nice setups and very inviting to explore. I'd really like to be able to read the Salt level from a sensor, but I can't find anything independent that will read a high enough scale but ill keep researching. Would be nice to not have to go out and check the average & real-time stats from the machine especially as I’m currently doing every day due to the cell dying.

My Pool is approx. 14,000 gallons so I’m swaying towards a CircuPool RJ-30 which is rated for 30,000

The pool company I use called me back yesterday and is quoting me $1300 for a new Hayward T-9 Cell + $95 install :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very nice, I think I may well pull the trigger on this sensor along with the PH, I can justify that with the savings made switching to a CircuPool SWG and still getting what I want. I already have an ESP32 controlling my pump motor/pool lights & pool temp. I have a flow rate sensor to add so these would be great, ESPhome (which I run) does have support for the EZO sensor circuits as does Tasmota so I should be able to get them into Home Assistant easily then use Node Red for some alerting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.