New Buy owner pool in Miami

Sep 25, 2017
MIAMI
Hello Every one. I finally got my permit and I'm getting quotes from Subs right now. I initially got quotes from 4 different pool contractors but figured I'll pump the saving from doing it myself into the pool build.
Here are the details:
I'm building a 15' x 30' simple pool 3' to 6' without spa, travertine deck with total of about 15000 sq ft of travertine

Here are my questions:

1. The engineer specified #4 rebar with 12" floor and 8" walls widening to 10" think wall and beam at the top. The subs I've given the plans to are telling me that it's over kill and it's going to cost me much more? Has anyone used similar rebar/gunite layout?

2. Pool is only 15,000 gallons but the engineer specified 340sq ft filter with 1.65 variable speed pump. Is that overkill as well?

3. I'm about to start the hole with the excavator. How much extra space do I need to leave all the way around for plumbing? I see recommendations here to drop gravel in the bottom to lay rebar on. How much gravel is recommended? Any gravel better than others?

4. I initially thought I was covered with my regular fence and didn't need a fence or net for the pool to meet code but after reading around I see that the horizontal cross member on the fence need to be over 45" from the ground if those members are on the side of the fence opposite the pool to neighbors kids from climbing into my yard and drowning I guess. Well mine are at 38" so I'm going to need a protection at the pool. Any recommendations lowest cost option?

4. I'm looking to install decent equipment and would like to control of pump, heater and lights via IOS app. here is the gear I'm looking at and would appreciate comments on any experience especially on the mix. I'd like to stay with the same brand for automation ease.

Pump Jandy Vsfhp165AUT (1.65 HP variable speed)
heater Jandy JE2500T (119k btu heat pump)
Filter Jandy CL340 (340sq ft cartridge filter)
Lights Qty 2 Jandy JLU4C30W100 (30 watt colored LED light nicheless)
Chlorinator Jandy APURE35 (35k gallon chlorinator)
Controller Jandy zq-4pi (Iaqualink Z4 controller)
Skimmer aquastar SKR103
Drain 32CDFLV102
Jandy automated valve for pool feature waterfall

Still need power supply for lights (assume any 12 V power supply that has sufficient amp rating will work)
circuit breaker panel (thinking about using standard Nema 3R 8 circuit load center)

Advise is really appreciated since this is a bit overwhelming and a lot of Money.

Last edited:
Get the aqualink rs with subpanel and AquaPure. Get the Aquapure 1400 cell. Get iAquaLink.

I would follow the engineers plans.

The cartridge filter size looks good.

The variable speed pump is good.

This is an easy one for me.............Do what James said! The engineers did that plan for a reason so.....follow it.

Fence-Make sure to check into YOUR local rules and laws for that before you go any further to make sure you are covered.

Kim:kim:

Re your fence, the easiest solution may be to add palings to that side of the fence. We are having this done, but more for aesthetic reasons. Our neighbour put a pool in last year and attached another cross beam directly on top of the existing one on our side of the fence to bring the height of the foot hold to a compliant height. Looks terrible on our side now. We are adding palings on our side so we don't have to look at it and also to give us both more privacy.

Hello James

I just want to confirm I have the correct list of items to go with the RS solution.

Would this be correct

1. Purelink with sub panel 6614AP-L
  2. Aqualink RS RS-P4 (I don't have a spa)
  3. Network module IQ20-A
  4. Chlorine generator PLC1400

1. Get the aqualink rs with subpanel and AquaPure. Get the Aquapure 1400 cell. Get iAquaLink.
I would follow the engineers plans.

The cartridge filter size looks good.

The variable speed pump is good.

Looks correct. Check with Jandy just to make sure that nothing is missing.

I don't think that it comes with the display/control for the salt system at the box. It's not necessary if you're doing remote control, but it's nice if you need to use Service mode and control from the box.

You will need a jandy valve actuator.

I'm not sure if the temperature sensors are included.

Another question regarding the equipment. The engineer list a jandy 1.65 VS pump and a Jandy 340sqft filter. The quotes I got from pool contractor listed 100 sq ft or 150 sq ft cartridge filters. Is 340 sq ft overkill?

Thanks in advance

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is the smallest filter in that line from Jandy. It is 4 cartridges. I have the same one in the CV line. The filter is great the pressure meter on it never went up at all the entire time my pool was opened.

Well we've started. Hopefully it all goes smoothly. I just heard back from the Travertine contractor and he's quoting me $5.50 sq ft for labor for the install. I have about 1800 sq ft. That seems high?

Last edited:
A lot depends on what exactly they are doing.

There are two ways to set the stone.

One is to set them on sand with a border that's anchored to keep the stones tight together. Grading is critical to a long lasting deck that won't settle.

The other method is to pour a base of concrete, then mortar the stones in place with some space for grout.. then you grout the spaces.

So, it depends on which method is going to be used. Mortar and grout is more work.

For loose set, the amount of grading makes a difference and the type and length of border makes a difference.

Contractors should specify exactly what your options are, what look you can expect, warranty etc. and pricing differences for various options.

Local markets vary widely, so a good price one place might seem exorbitant somewhere else.

Getting multiple bids from different contractors can help you figure out what it should cost.

Look at the contractors work on other projects and contact prior customers.

Quality of work can vary widely. A good job will look and feel solid for years. The stones will be flat, level and straight. A poor quality job will look rough, the stones will feel loose and the edges won't match up.

Another factor is the number and type of cuts that need to be made. If the job requires numerous special cuts, such as following a curved edge, skimmer cutouts, planters etc, that increases the labor cost.

Thanks James
A lot depends on what exactly they are doing.

There are two ways to set the stone.

One is to set them on sand with a border that's anchored to keep the stones tight together. Grading is critical to a long lasting deck that won't settle.

The other method is to pour a base of concrete, then mortar the stones in place with some space for grout.. then you grout the spaces.

So, it depends on which method is going to be used. Mortar and grout is more work.

For loose set, the amount of grading makes a difference and the type and length of border makes a difference.

Contractors should specify exactly what your options are, what look you can expect, warranty etc. and pricing differences for various options.

Local markets vary widely, so a good price one place might seem exorbitant somewhere else.

Getting multiple bids from different contractors can help you figure out what it should cost.

Look at the contractors work on other projects and contact prior customers.

Quality of work can vary widely. A good job will look and feel solid for years. The stones will be flat, level and straight. A poor quality job will look rough, the stones will feel loose and the edges won't match up.

Another factor is the number and type of cuts that need to be made. If the job requires numerous special cuts, such as following a curved edge, skimmer cutouts, planters etc, that increases the labor cost.

Hoping for some direction from fellow Floridian. I was initially using my wood fence as the child barrier for my pool project but one of sides has the horizontal members in the neighbors yard so it won't meet the requirements. I'm thinking of adding a pool net so that I can pass my final keeping in mind that I don't have small kids anymore and my yard has a 6 foot fence around it.
Questions are:

1. Anyone have experience in Miami Dade County. I found that a pool net that meets ASTH F 1346 is required and I think I don't need anything else to meet the requirement so I'm trying to confirm that.

2. Any recommendations to buy the compliant net online. It a basic 15x30 in ground pool

Thanks

jose - i'm also in s. fla. Call Ariel @ Cricket pavers. He should be alot lower then $5.50 and hes got a great supplier for travertine...... he is also a great guy and just owner/ built his pool as well in Miami. May be a resource for other questions as well... i know he had issues with the fence as well from inspectors and ended up doing a baby fence.

- - - Updated - - -

looking forward to seeing the build!!

I'll give hime a call.

Thanks Tim!
jose - i'm also in s. fla. Call Ariel @ Cricket pavers. He should be alot lower then $5.50 and hes got a great supplier for travertine...... he is also a great guy and just owner/ built his pool as well in Miami. May be a resource for other questions as well... i know he had issues with the fence as well from inspectors and ended up doing a baby fence.

- - - Updated - - -

looking forward to seeing the build!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.