New Build Texas Hill Country *Updated Pics Coping 8/29 *

cgd

Jun 26, 2013
Texas Hill Country
Been lurking for a while here and learned ALOT. Just wanted some constructive criticism on my build as I would like to have it as right as possible the first time.

I will be getting a 34x22 (true water length), 554 sqft, 96 perimeter ft, 3'-7' depth, semi free form w/ 38 sqft (water surface) Spa, Wet Edge Pebble Prism Matrix Indigo Blue Finish. Estimated 22,000 gallons. My coping will be Oklahoma flagstone that I do plan on sealing yearly.

My equipment will be: Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter; Jandy Aqua pure 1400 SWG; Jandy 2HP VS pump; 3/4HP Booster Pump for Polaris 3900; Air Blower for Spa; Jandy PDA4; Raypak 406 Heater; Auto Fill; 2 Hayward LED Lights for pool; 1 Hayward LED light for Spa; 2 Skimmers; 3 Returns to pool; 6 jets in Spa

If there is something I should change, add, and/or remove your opinion will be much appreciated. I have attached some design photos. There is no decking on the back side of the pool due to a significant slope in my yard as I am in the Texas Hill Country. I may add a wood deck or something later. I don't know, suggestions?

Thank You

Attachments

• Revised_001.jpg
    Revised_001.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 694
  • Revised_003.jpg
    Revised_003.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 692
Re: Wahoo we're getting a Pool New Build Thoughts and Critiq

Looking good. Is that a bubbler, or a fountain, on the step? We have a couple fountains on ours, and one in the spa. Personally, we like more than one just because then it seems more balanced. We also love our umbrella sleeves.

Great looking pool. You probably only need the 1.5 hp vs pump. For that matter, you could eliminate the boster pump too and go with a Polaris 360. This not only saves money now, it saves major mony in the operation of the pool.
Frankly, if you plumbed it correctly you could operate the Polaris 3900 off the jandy vs pump.

I also vote for umbrella sleeves, another bubbler and a larger tanning shelf.

It's only my opinion but I would stay away from the Jandy equipment, for example the aquapure system is a little cheaper than the Hayward or Pentair salt water generators, but it only has a 1 yr. limited warranty. It seems to me that the other brands are made to last longer than Jandy.

JimboAZ said:
Looking good. Is that a bubbler, or a fountain, on the step? We have a couple fountains on ours, and one in the spa. Personally, we like more than one just because then it seems more balanced. We also love our umbrella sleeves.

It is a bubbler.

Regarding Jandy vs Pentair vs Hayward, don't be too concerned with brands. Jandy is a Zodiak brand and Zodiak as a company has been around since 1909. Jandy and Pentair if you buy all of their equipment will increase your warranty from 1 to 3 years on the equipment. Not sure about Hayward. But Hayward makes fine equipment as well. Price, and convenience/automation options and preferences should rank higher than branding in my opinion. Sounds like your builder uses Jandy so likely your highest level of support and service would be with Jandy equipment. The one main piece of equipment that seems to rise to the top in service life and dependability is Raypak heaters. Sounds like your set there.

>>>> There is no decking on the back side of the pool due to a significant slope in my yard
if the slope is significant, a negative/vanishing-edge pool might give you a pretty awesome look.

>>>> Wet Edge Pebble Prism Matrix Indigo Blue Finish
May I ask how much the upcharge is for Prism Matrix?
We are seriously considering it also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

jamgolf said:

Originally thought it was $2800 for pool and spa, but PB called today and informed me that his Manager caught a mistake with the finish being Prism it would be another $2800. After a few phone conversations my PB honored that he would not ask for anymore $ unless we changed something and we are getting the Prism finish for $2800 and not $5600.

jamgolf said:
>>>> There is no decking on the back side of the pool due to a significant slope in my yard
if the slope is significant, a negative/vanishing-edge pool might give you a pretty awesome look.

Thought about it, but all that would do is turn the spill over into a water trough for the deer.

cgd said:
jamgolf said:

Originally thought it was $2800 for pool and spa, but PB called today and informed me that his Manager caught a mistake with the finish being Prism it would be another $2800. After a few phone conversations my PB honored that he would not ask for anymore $ unless we changed something and we are getting the Prism finish for $2800 and not $5600.

We are being quoted $5600 too. So you are getting a break.
I would definitely jump on such an opportunity.

The $2800 was supposed to be for upgrading to pearl or satin finishes. Some how I ended up with prism and no one caught it until 2 days after I signed the contract. The additional $2800 for the prism is because of the glass pebbles, so I'm told. Haven't even had the layout yet and had a hiccup, but I must say I'm happy with my builder for sticking to his word and eating the additional cost, though I know it's not $2800.

After lay out today I decided I wanted more decking at the deep end of the pool. Here are the revised 3D images w/ more decking. I originally had 560 sqft of decking. Now I am getting 640 sqft. I should have pics of the dig tomorrow.

Attachments

• Revised 2_001.jpg
    Revised 2_001.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 481
  • Revised 2_003.jpg
    Revised 2_003.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 482

1) I've seen some freeform pools not look great with lights at night because of shadows caused by curves. I suggest you double-check with builder to confirm lights are in best location.

2) I like the idea of a handrail to get out of pool..... never know who might need it in the future.

3) After getting an in-floor cleaning system in our pool, I wouldn't want a pool without one.

Day 1 Dig. They will be back on Monday to finish, but most likely finishing up on Tuesday.

Attachments

• Breaking Ground (1024x577).jpg
    Breaking Ground (1024x577).jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 442
  • Unloading (1024x577).jpg
    Unloading (1024x577).jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 440

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.