New build start up

Day215

Apr 14, 2019
Rocklin ca
We had our IG completed on Friday. It’s about 22-24k gallons based on my math, with a pebblesheen finish. The builders came and added chemicals. I know acid was part of it and a bunch of other stuff. I was left with 4 gallons of acid and 4 gallons of chlorine. I was told to add a gallon of acid today and if the ph was good it was ok to swim.

I used my basic test kit today since my DPD-FAS kit is on the way. Before adding and acid, my PH was about 7.2 and there was ZERO FC. Total alkalinity was 40 PPM based on the test results.

Why would I want to add more acid if my current results are in range? It seems as though I would want to raise it a touch if anything. My alkalinity needs to be raised as well. I don’t want to go against my builders suggestion, but something doesn’t seem to make sense.

I retested this morning using my basic test kit. The Taylor K-2006 won’t be here until Tuesday so I’m still in the dark on a few things.

There have been no more chemicals added since the startup on Friday. Pump has been running 24/7 at moderate RPM and I have NOT been running the waterfall. Here’s what I measured as of this morning.

Water temp: 80
FC: 0
PH: 8 plus
TA: 60

Based on a 22,000 gal pool. I added 611ml of Muiriatic acid to bring PH down to 7.5

Am I on the right track? Water is pretty clear but the deep end is slightly cloudy but only by a little. Am I trying to get my base readings in range before I start adding chlorine?

Thanks Mr Bruce! I’ve read the start up guide and the ABC’s of pool chemistry till my eyes bled. It’s starting to make more sense, the more I read. I’m assuming my PH and TA went up by themselves as a result of the curing process?

Pool builders told me to add a gallon of chlorine in Wednesday, but I’m thinking I should test first and add accordingly. They didn’t mention CYA so I’ll have to pick some up, unless they added some during startup. They spread some sort of dry powder during startup, but I’m unsure what it was.

Right now, I’m wondering when we can swim in this thing. After I add chlorine and get a good test, will I be good to go? If I run the waterfall and it raises the PH and TA, do I just knock them back down? Maybe I overlooked it, but is there something that shows the target ranges for all my parameters, including CH and CSI?

Thanks for all the help, I’ll figure it out someday.

From the article:
No swimming until the water is properly balanced. After the pool is fully filled with water run a set of tests using your own FAS/DPD kit to make sure the water is sanitary and isn’t acidic. Once your water is balanced you can enjoy your pool.

Reactions: Day215
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.