New build problems

Onetype

Apr 27, 2021
Bastrop Tx
New build here in Bastrop Tx. We had a huge nasty rain storm last Friday that dumped several inches very quickly.

Well PB decided that morning would be a good time to start shooting gunite, after sitting empty with rebar for ~2 weeks.

Needless to say they got rained out half way through, and left.

I came home from work to a half shot pool with about 2 feet of ground/rain water in it. There’s several spots in the walls where ground water is entering through pockets in the gunite.

PB says not to worry they are going to resume tomorrow and that cold joints aren’t an issue with gunite. Currently they have a pump in the pool pumping all the water out, but the entire bottom is so caked in mud from the storm that I can’t even tell what’s concrete and what’s not.

I’m worried about 3 things at this point.

1) Cold joints
2) Rusty rebar transferring into the concrete
3) Those small pockets in the wall gunite where ground water was entering the pool (it’s like it didn’t compact into the layers behind it, so if you look upward there are voids running vertically behind the gunite - like something you would see in a cave wall).

It’s honestly a disaster, I’m extremely upset about the bad trowel work even in the areas that look done, and while the PB has a 3 year warranty, with lifetime warranty on the shell I just don’t see how they can resume gunite and it be problem free at this point.

Just wanting to get some opinions on what can be done, what should be done, if anything. I’ve heard “make them tear it all out and start over”, and I’ve been told it will likely have problems down the road now. It was a huge mistake for the project manager to let them shoot gunite on a day with a projected storm and he didn’t even show up that day (arguably one of the most important days of the build).

Attachments

• 5A53B938-75CD-44DF-B716-D8AC2A9D0713.jpeg
    5A53B938-75CD-44DF-B716-D8AC2A9D0713.jpeg
    760.6 KB · Views: 62
  • C15E3811-2CF7-4653-B70F-A54D57065124.jpeg
    C15E3811-2CF7-4653-B70F-A54D57065124.jpeg
    599.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Yikes. Not the ideal situation. Welcome to TFP! :wave: Curious, did the contractors come back out and complete the job? Weather has been unpredictable across Texas for sure. Do you still need answers to your questions above? We can tag a plaster expert or two if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.