New build, plumbing size question

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
We are doing a 33x15 rectangular pool, 3hp vs pump, right now the PB has 2” return and 2” suction lines. Is it worth going to 2.5” for $500? Any pro/con? Also I is there any benefit to having the skimmer in the middle of the pool or off to one side? Right now the skimmer Is 1/3 of the length of the pool on the left, I thought it would suck in debris better if location was dead center, PB told me I would have to upgrade to 2.5” plumbing as they can only go 40 feet from the pump with 2”.

please see CAD drawing

Attachments

• IMG_2305.png
    IMG_2305.png
    504.1 KB · Views: 25
I'll let @mas985 chime in about your plumbing size question. As to the skimmer, the optimal location depends on the pool position and typical wind direction across your yard. You'll find much more skimming success if the skimmer is on the downwind end of the pool so that the wind pushes surface debris in that direction. Jets help, but are no match for a good breeze.

There is no real downside to larger pipe other than cost. But with a VS pump there is a lot of upside. Lower energy costs and less likely to clog.

I would go with separate 2.5" for each suction run pool to pump. This way you can easily control the flow from each port.

On the return side, 2" is fine but I would have at least 2 runs to the pool. One for a couple of returns over the stairs and a second run for the other returns. Plus if those are bubblers over the shelf, they should have their own run.

It is hard to read the drawing as the resolution is not that great. How many skimmers, pool returns and other features are there?

Would recommend at least two skimmers independently plumbed - both for balancing and for redundancy… I have two plumbed in serial and one is always stronger…

there is one skimmer, it’s currently located on the house side near the baja step. I was just thinking it would look better to have it located in the middle of the pool. Oh and the charge for going 2” to 2.5“ is $1,100😳. No way we are adding another skimmer I am sure that would cost another couple thousand. That’s insane, I mean how much more is 2.5“ over 2”

Regardless of one or two - skimmer best practice is to be located in relation to the prevailing wind. Mother Nature will overcome any circulation in the pool and you want the skimmer to account for that as much as possible. Ask the PB their logic for skimmer placement

That’s insane, I mean how much more is 2.5“ over 2”
It shouldn't be that much different. Have the PB justify the cost difference. Some PBs charge a lot more for 2.5 because they think it is harder to work with but it really isn't that much different.

If you run mostly on lower speeds, the energy cost difference won't be very much. But it can be significant at higher flow rates. Do you have any high flow rate water features?

I would definitely recommend two skimmers independently plumbed to the equipment pad. Main drain is optional (I wouldn't get one for your build).

Vacuum line is also optional, unless you're planning on a suction side cleaner. What type of cleaner are you getting?

Install an external bypass for the heat pump.

I would suggest 4' for the depth of the shallow end. 3.5' is just a bit too shallow.

6' is an awkward depth for the deep end since it's too deep for people to stand but too shallow for diving, etc. I'd suggest 5' or commit to a true deep end.

We will have two 24” sheer decent water features. I asked for an explanation of the $1,100 cost, the difference of the pipe is like $1.50 per Lf. I think they just put the screws to me since I am in a contract. just trying to see if I will ever recoup $1100 in energy savings from the pipe upgrade???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We will have two 24” sheer decent water features. I asked for an explanation of the $1,100 cost, the difference of the pipe is like $1.50 per Lf. I think they just put the screws to me since I am in a contract. just trying to see if I will ever recoup $1100 in energy savings from the pipe upgrade???
$1.5/lf is about right but $1100 @ $1.5/lf is 733' of pipe. I don't think there is that much pipe for this application. We are only talking about the suction side plumbing for the MD and Skimmer or 2 skimmers. But that should be less than 100' of pipe or a delta of $150.

Oh the story gets better, they are only putting in 1 skimmer. Now they are stating there will be no difference between 2” and 2.5”. For the skimmer. I’m fine with one skimmer as the surface area in just under 500. Worked fine on my other pool.
just wish I could get a straight answer. I am getting the feeling they just don’t want to do the 2.5”

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.