New Build, please help! Nature 2 fusion vs ANYTHING ELSE (pentair, stenner, etc)

Aug 1, 2018
TX
Hello everyone,

I am new to Trouble Free Pool and I kid you not when I say I have been reading and gaining so much knowledge these past couple of days. My brain is on overdrive. I feel more and more confident that I can handle and take care of a TFP thanks to you all.

Some background info on me and the situation:
I have never owned a pool and am in the contract phase as we speak with our PB. With that sad, I told my pool builder that I did not want to use The Nature 2 fusion system that they had planned for my pool and that I'd rather go to a Liquid Chlorine pool b/c of the whole trichlor/CYA Issue as well as the copper minerals that are a part of that system. (husband hates saltwater so chlorine it must be)

I told our PB that I had done extensive research and that I'd prefer to go with a Stenner pump system that will automatically dispense in the chlorine, and obviously I'd get a good test kit to check the levels and set the pump accordingly. (I learned this from you all)
He looked at me like " OH, WOW! OK!!" I think he thinks that I really know what I'm talking about but I'm just going off of what you all have recommended works for a chlorinated pool. I do go out of town quite often therefore I can not pour in my chlorine manually nor do I want to unless I have to. I NEED A PUMP SYSTEM, an automatic pool chlorinator.

My question(s) to you all is:
1.WHAT ARE OPTIONS as far as BRANDS and exact names of systems that Will do what I need for a chlorine pool? When I told him my thoughts on ditching the Natuere 2 fusion b/c I was not a fan he called a rep and relayed my concern. He said he will call around and look into what we want. But it sounds like it wont be a stenner pump that they would use therefore I wanted to know my options of other brands that can work. A rep had briefly mentioned to him about sense and dispense system. He said to give him some time and he'd get back to me.

2. Also, with a chlorine pool do I need more than just a device/pump that automatically dispenses chlorine OR will I need another pump to add acids? Like I said I am clueless. First time pool owner. I just noticed online that there are systems that automate the chlorine and acids (for example the pentair intellichem systems have options of just adding chlorine via one pump and a drum or adding chlorine and acid via 2 pumps and 2 drums). IS THAT WHAT THEY CALL AN ORP SYSTEM, a system that adds chlorine and acids?

3. Finally, DO I STRICTLY JUST ASK AND NEED AN AUTOMATIC POOL CHLORINATOR OR DO I NEED MORE? and If i just need the automatic chlorinator how do you add acids? I need to be able to explain what I want thoroughly, in essence.

I hope this makes sense. I just wanted to be able to gather as much information and decide what avenue is best for me before our PB comes back and tells me of a system that will meet my automatic liquid chlorine need and I not know anything about other options, brands, or which ones to steer away from or not. Everything is pretty much finalized but this.

Thank you SO much!!

(Pool may be around 32 to 35,000 gallons, no larger)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

ORP is a sensor that measure a proxy for chlorine .... based on the measurement it can then add FC as needed. That is the theory. In reality, it does not work very well and I would not recommend it. The peristaltic pumps (Stenner is a brand) generally are used to add a certain amount of bleach on a timer. They are open loop and it is up to you to test and adjust the output as needed.

Acid addition (if needed) can also either be done manually, through a timer based pump, or some are closed loop that have a pH sensor and add acid as needed. This last one works better than the ORP, but it is often not needed.

FYI, all pools have salt in them. There is a thread on-going right now about a pool that only added bleach and it appears that the salt level in the pool is now nearly double what is required for a SWG. All liquid and solid forms of chlorine add salt to the water. So, if you do not have to drain due to rain or backwashing your filter, the salt levels can build up.

Has your husband actually been in a SWG pool? Or is he equating the 35000ppm of salt in the ocean with the 3200ppm of salt in a SWG pool?

Why not go with the Nature2 FusionSoft? It is what I have and a TOP quality saltwater chlorine generator. Keep in mind you do not have to use the mineral cartridge and most people on this forum that have it don't. The chlorine generator part works very well. It is a touch undersized for your pool but would work. Instead of ditching the SWCG for liquid chlorine, check out perhaps a bigger SWCG like an IC60. The long-term lower maintenance with a saltwater generator is well worth the initial effort.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.