joeprunc

Apr 26, 2021
Discovery Bay, CA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We are starting our new build in ground guinite pool, approx 25k gallons. We officially got our permit yesterday and demo starts today.
I want to get all pool equipment on order to minimize slow downs.
Pool Equipment will include:
  • Automation system
  • (1) VS Pump for spa and pool
  • Heater
  • Filter
  • Pool Lights
  • Spa Lights
  • Salt System
  • Future tie in for solar
I've heard better reviews around Hayward's automation, and have a close friend that has the Omnilogic installed in his 1 year old pool. I'm impressed with the Omni system, but in the last year his heater, pump, and salt system have been replaced. My PB is a Pentair guy and pushing me this direction. I'm ok with either brands hard equipment (pump, heater, filter, lighting, etc) However if I go with Pentair I want to make sure the automation does what I want. My PB is not the most tech savy with automation, but can get Pentair help for install.

I've read a fair amount of negative reviews (and a few good ones) around Pentair's Automation systems and would appreciate any new insight as the system has been out for 2-3 years now. And make sure that we have the ability to capture all desires listed below.

My pool is fairly simple, but I want my automation to do the following: (and it is a must to have the capability to operate from an iPhone remotely)
  1. VS Pump
    • Control daily turnover
    • Allow for switching to spa & manipulate force of jets.
  2. Heater control for spa
  3. Control Pool Lights
  4. Control Spa Lights
  5. Control Agricultural lighting
    • (if relay limited I would be ok with combining Ag lighting with pool or spa)
  6. Future Control for Solar water temp
    • Open valves when solar is hot to increase to set temperature (close when temp achieved)
    • Open valves when solar is cold (ie night time) to decrease pool temp to desired temp (not a must be might be nice)
    • If desired run solar water directly to spa only.
Would you go with Pentair because PB can get and is more comfortable with, or push him to Hayward?

I have zero experience with Pentair equipment/automation. I do have Hayward equipment and the omnilogic system and I really like it. Their latest update a few weeks ago added the solar options you are desiring. It will also do all the other things that you mentioned. It comes with 4 high voltage relays and is expandable to 8 with an add on. You will likely need that because you will need 3 just for the light transformers for pool/spa/lawn. It will also do four 24v actuator valves and I believe that is also expandable if needed. If your installer is not technical with automation...I don't know if brand would matter much, he will likely struggle with either. I installed my omnilogic system and configured it myself. I found it to be pretty straight forward, but I am also very tech savy.

Maybe someone with Pentair experience will come along and chime in or better yet someone that has installed and setup both.

Thats good to hear about Hayward. I will continue to talk with by PB.

I'm continuing to do research and found that the Intelliconnect will NOT power valve actuators. Therefore I will need to go with the Intellicenter not intelliconnect. It seems like these are more apples to apples.

Any other insite on Pentair vs Hayward automation?

Welcome to the forum!
Here is a wiki on Pentair Automation systems.

Many of us have Pentair systems. The integration of the gold standard for VS pumps (Intelliflo) and the Intellichlor SWCG's is great. Your system appears fairly complicated. You might get away with the 5 relays but better would be the 8 relay Intellicenter IPS8 with SWCG.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.