New build- is this an issue?

Oct 13, 2018
Windsor
Hi everyone,

First time posting here. I am hoping to get some advice on our new build. We are doing a 14x30 vinyl pool with Latham polymer walls. We opted for the vinyl over polymer full length steps with a double wide middle step that can act as a tanning ledge/seat. I called out my pool builder when we were at the wall stage as you could visually see one side was off. He said it was his excavators mistake and he tried hand digging some of it to make it better (we live on rock hard clay). He said once he grouts it he will build up the other side to make it even. As you can see it is not even. The grout also is very wavy, I’m not sure if it’s my perfectionism or if this is an issue but it bothers me. When walking on it you can feel the floor through shoes which will be much more noticeable walking bare foot.

My question is... should the grout on the pool floor be perfectly smooth? How about the sides that go below the pool wall? Won’t this affect my liner not laying down properly which could result in wrinkles? This is our first pool and hoping to get some opinions before we approach the pool builder on this.

much appreciated!2C01D895-A300-4E42-A643-6F1296F2B423.jpegDC8C2A20-BDB0-4191-8F35-F54A09FFF158.jpeg2C01D895-A300-4E42-A643-6F1296F2B423.jpeg

Attachments

• 049655A4-0D49-4FB7-A701-FEBCA9B96D8B.jpeg
    049655A4-0D49-4FB7-A701-FEBCA9B96D8B.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
where the floor is (grout/vermiculite) if you look at the angle of going to the deep end it is very different on both sides. The side that was hand dug and floor is very wavy. The angle and how far it comes out from the wall is almost a 6 inch difference. The left side is very steep where the right side is much more angled and comes out further.

I think that's the worst floor I've ever seen. Is this guy a new PB? It does look like a Verm mix. Anybody with experience would have mixed up dry concrete and shaped the wall then covered it. You use string lines when your a rookie after a while you just need the angle string the rest is by eye. I also see a large void under the wall panel on left side of pic. You are the one paying make him do it right. The floor doesn't have to be perfect it never is but the waves are subtle and shouldn't stand out at you

I think that's the worst floor I've ever seen. Is this guy a new PB? It does look like a Verm mix. Anybody with experience would have mixed up dry concrete and shaped the wall then covered it. You use string lines when your a rookie after a while you just need the angle string the rest is by eye. I also see a large void under the wall panel on left side of pic. You are the one paying make him do it right. The floor doesn't have to be perfect it never is but the waves are subtle and shouldn't stand out at you
Thanks, that’s what I thought. This guy has been in business for many many years, the son is the one who does the installs now but it seems like they got a new crew that works with them. It’s been a nightmare, even around the skimmer there’s a 1/4 inch drop from the cement deck to the skimmer lid, access points for the lights and deck jets... great way for the kids to rip open the bottom of their foot on some rough edges.

+1 what jimmythegreek said. My vermiculite floor (also called "poolcrete" in some areas) was really quite mediocre but it was wa-a-a-y better than that. I would think it might be OK as far as liner fit but aesthetically, I don't think I could live with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as it's not high you dont need to rip out. Do u have the plan for the pool by chance? It's a single page that shows the dimensions of the panels and it will show the angle dimensions. Take that and some landscape nails with string line and layout the floor. Easy way to fix sides is build up with concrete. Have them get regular 50# bags and throw a tarp and plywood down in the deep end and mist it lightly with garden hose flipping it with shovel til ita just tacky but dry. You may have to flick it on the wall to get a suction grab with the shovel but just keep adding til its close then skim with 2" of Verm. If the crew is new they are probably new at doing Verm it's a learning curve. High spots can ne sanded with a belt sander and 60 grit but you cant take out huge humps without chipping. Its soft and easy to manipulate when its fresh

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.