New Build in the Mid Atlantic... Still sorting out the details and have questions.

mvp119

Apr 15, 2020
DE
We have young kids and are looking to add a pool to provide some summer activity and relief from the heat. My wife and I both had pools as kids, but that was a long time ago, so I consider us first time pool buyers. Our priorities are on maximizing swimming area for the kids, and keeping maintenance and cost to a minimum, without shorting on any necessary details.

I'm attaching:
1) a copy of our property survey, which has drainage easements we need to work around. Still enough room for what we want to do though.
2) A Visio sketch up I made, roughly to scale, with a Lazy L shaped pool. We were originally leaning towards this shape but are now looking at some other options.
3) Backyard pictures and an overhead shot of our yard from Google Maps.
4) A copy of the original quote we received. There was a second page with a bunch of discounts, but I didn't include it because I'm not really looking for advice on the price.
5) A few of the pool shapes we are considering. We are looking at the 700sqft option in each one.

We have received quotes from the 3 contractors that we could find who are currently installing pools in our area. There are at least 2 more that are not doing installations due to COVID19. 1 of them was for a Fiberglass and 2 for Gunite. All 3 prices were close enough that I wouldn't make a decision based on that. But, the fiberglass pool contractor I consider a throw away. They did not take much time to evaluate what we wanted and just emailed us a number with very little details or effort on their part. No follow up either...

The 2 Gunite quotes were both for 700sqft pools, plus a tanning ledge as requested. Of the 2, we are heavily leaning towards the larger company because they seem to do more of the work themselves vs contract out all the pieces. They also have a better reputation and have been around longer. They have also installed at least 3 other pools in our smallish neighborhood, although they were all done many years ago.

Attachments

• Yard with Lazy L.JPG
    Yard with Lazy L.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Overhead Yard.JPG
    Overhead Yard.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Origonal Quote Snipet.JPG
    Origonal Quote Snipet.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Lazy L.JPG
    Lazy L.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 34
  • Greecian.JPG
    Greecian.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Barcelona.JPG
    Barcelona.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5504.JPG
    IMG_5504.JPG
    624.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5502e-1.jpg
    IMG_5502e-1.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5503e-1.jpg
    IMG_5503e-1.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Survey Cropped.jpg
    Survey Cropped.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
FILTER / PUMP / SANITIZER
Based on my reading here I already went back and told the PB I'd like to switch to a VSP and SWCG instead of the mineral fusion system and single speed pump quoted. I was told that these are each a $700 upgrade.
The PB says they primarily sell/install JANDY equipment, but can quote something else if necessary. I had expressed interest in other brands because of information I read here. I tend to be a do-it-myself person, and value the ability to get parts and/or change things on my own vs going through the PB. Is going with another brand equipment besides JANDY a good idea in this case? Or for other reasons? If so, what equipment exactly would be best? There seems to be a preference on the boards for Pentair. Keeping in mind I don't want to blow up the budget, can I get recommendations on a complete Pentair system? Or Hayward? that I can give to the PB as an alternate system?

We didn’t ask for any type of automation equipment. But this is something I might consider adding down the road, or possibly up front if the cost is not too high. I’m a tech savy person and have a lot of other automation equipment in the house including a pretty elaborate Insteon system. Is adding on later doable? Is it better to do it now? Is there a particular system that is better than others?

Also, for Electricity, what is the typical size of breaker that gets installed? I’m pretty sure I have enough space left on my main panel, but should probably check this.

And in regard to filter/equipment placement. If we were to place the equipment near the house, how much of an annoyance would that be to a bedroom that is directly above on the second floor? I know noone can answer that definitively, but any feedback is welcome.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
I am sure other members will post about your design questions.
For your pool equipment, the big three (Jandy, Hayward, Pentair) in general can do all the same thing. DIY compatibility is better with Hayward and Pentair as you can at least buy the products for repair/replace without going through a dealer.They still have a limited warranty (exc SWCG cell replacement) if you DIY the work.
I have Pentair, and thus biased.
For your pool, an Intellicenter automation with integral SWCG (I did not see a volume, so be sure it is rated for 2X water volume), and an Intellflo VS pump. A cartridge CCPXXX (the biggest you can afford) for filtering. Lights, etc are up to you. The Intellicenter comes in different configurations for Pool only or Pool/spa combo. Also how many relays are needed for controlling powered items, such as lights, etc.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

For your electric, the Intellicenter has a load center in it. So you would need a 50 amp 240V circuit from the main panel to the Intellicenter, assuming you are not thinking of installing a heat pump.

With a VS pump, you nearly have to touch it to see if it is running at the typical low rpm it is run at.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

As you are pricing, ask your PB to make allowances for future automation in the plumbing. It costs almost nothing and will be there for you if you decide later.

Quality difference among brands seems to be non-existent over the years we have been doing this. I would tend to stay with the equipment your selected builder suggests.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've seen the recomendation on the boards to go with a SWCG rated for 2x the volume of the pool. If I estimate the pool will be in the 30,000 gallon range (does that sound right for a 700sqft pool?), that would mean a SWCG rated for 60,000g. I see Pentair has a matching product, but I only see a 12,000 and 40,000 gallon option from Jandy. Are there others I'm not seeing on their web page?

How does this equipment list look? All Jandy...

Not sure if I'll get the automation stuff now or not.

FilterCL460 or CL580
VSPVSFloPro 1.65HP
SWCGAquaPure 40k PLC1400 & APUREM
Automation ControllerAquaLink® RS-P4
Network InterfaceiAquaLink IQ900-A

This is the latest design. Any opinions on the how many skimmers and returns there should be? PB is quoting 2 skimmers and 3 returns (1 on the sun shelf, 2 in pool). Including the sun shelf and swim-out, the pool is 789sq ft.

Still debating depth, but thinking 4' deep to 7' deep with 12" sun shelf.

Mod Grecian Pool Design.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.