New Pics and Request for Suggestions 2/9/22; Update 7/31/22 With Completion Photos

PoolPaul

Oct 16, 2020
Southern California
Building a house and the pool with it. GC is subbing out the pool as he does with most of the homes he builds. Pool was designed by the landscape architect. The subs are knowledgable, but looking forward to getting insight from this wonderful forum. (Already have, in a separate thread I posted about lighting.) Maybe even help others in the process.

Pool is 20x50 with an ~9x9 spa on one side and an 8x10 baja shelf on the other. 3.5' deep on each end with 5' deep in the middle. Approx 32k gallons per the calculator.

There is also a rill that flows into the pool with stepping stones for getting across. There will be a lighted fountain at the far (non-pool) end of the rill. 5-6 laminars around the pool, and 2 bubblers in the baja shelf. Also will get a solar heating system. Likely the pool will be SWG. Equipment likely will be Jandy.

Dig started last week and they are moving pretty quickly. Posting the plan and today's photos. I have earlier ones but unless someone thinks they'll be helpful I'll skip posting those.

Attachments

• Pool Diagram.jpg
    Pool Diagram.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: Dave1096
What an awesome pool. Can't wait to see the finished product.

What part of SoCal? I grew up out there in the Mojave desert.

Wow. Just the views from your yard/house/pool! Great looking pool and you're lucky to have such progress. So many have delays of one sort or another. By the way, love your red tile roof! Keep us posted!

I rilly like this pool. The plumbing gives me a headache but I'll get over it. I expect you will have well above average need for muriatic acid, depending on how much have the various water features running. But that's just a cost (minor money, more testing and remembering to had MA) of doing business for a cool setup.

One design thought is if you want to add any permanent tables in the area by the chaise lounges. With your setup, it may be of interest. Though they do limit your ability to shuffle things around. We have some and enjoy the function and appearance. Though you have plenty of other aspects to create the look. You can also see I haven't bothered fighting the efflourescence.

Looking forward to watching your project move progress.

2019-06-28 19.24.58 - Resized.jpg

Wow. Just the views from your yard/house/pool! Great looking pool and you're lucky to have such progress. So many have delays of one sort or another. By the way, love your red tile roof! Keep us posted!
Thanks!
LOVE IT! Will there be water in the rill? I can't say I have heard that word before. Going to have to look it up.
Yup. Two supply lines that feed the rill that will flow into the pool.

I rilly like this pool. The plumbing gives me a headache but I'll get over it. I expect you will have well above average need for muriatic acid, depending on how much have the various water features running. But that's just a cost (minor money, more testing and remembering to had MA) of doing business for a cool setup.

One design thought is if you want to add any permanent tables in the area by the chaise lounges. With your setup, it may be of interest. Though they do limit your ability to shuffle things around. We have some and enjoy the function and appearance. Though you have plenty of other aspects to create the look. You can also see I haven't bothered fighting the efflourescence.

Looking forward to watching your project move progress.
Thanks! Kind of scary to think about maintenance, but hoping the SWG takes care of most of the chemical issues. I'm pretty naive on this stuff though.

Like the permanent tables. It's an interesting thought. Considering it, but I also may want to preserve max flexibility so as not to hinder people when we have a lot going on and limited area for people to mill about. It does look a lot nicer than movable tables though....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Wow @kimkats thanks!

Yes started watering Thursday (day after shotcrete), 3x per day through Sunday at least. I'll have to read up on those links, but do they apply to a Pebble Tec surface? Suppose I can find out myself....

My PB is my GC for the entire house job, so he's not really providing anything per se, but pretty sure I'm going to have a pool guy do the maintenance.

Pebble Tec is a plaster pool with pebbles in it.

Pool guy maintenance=not very good for your plaster's life and your water in the long run. They do splash and dash kind of pool care once a week. What that means is they add the chemicals to your pool at very high levels in hopes they will last until the next week they come back out. Now if you have a SWG it will be a little easier on the pool guy. The pH levels will be very important in the beginning of your plaster's life.

Pebble Tec is a plaster pool with pebbles in it.

Pool guy maintenance=not very good for your plaster's life and your water in the long run. They do splash and dash kind of pool care once a week. What that means is they add the chemicals to your pool at very high levels in hopes they will last until the next week they come back out. Now if you have a SWG it will be a little easier on the pool guy. The pH levels will be very important in the beginning of your plaster's life.
OK thanks--we are doing a SWG.

Attachments

• IMG_2893.jpeg
    IMG_2893.jpeg
    508.5 KB · Views: 4
We're getting close to finishing and I'm looking for suggestions for a water feature to go on top of the pad in the rill(first pic below). Obviously a tall pot is one option, but looking for other things people have done or seen. The pad is around 17.5" square and has a pipe for water flow (should have been centered, but, oh well). There will be LED lights in the rill lighting up the water feature.

Any suggestions?

IMG_2404.jpeg
IMG_5063.jpegIMG_5061.jpegIMG_5059.jpegIMG_5582.jpegIMG_5581.jpegIMG_5580.jpegIMG_5579.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, that's gorgeous.

full

Reactions: Julianl50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.