New Build in SoCal - Pebble tomorrow, Start up Saturday

Have we talked about the importance of using good valves? NOT the ball kind from the big box stores. There are several brands. Some are rebuild-able!

Make sure none of those pieces of steel are a danger for people or pets. If they are sticking up you need to put a bar guard on them. You can get them cheap at Lowes or Home Depot.

Make sure you know which holes in the shell are for what...............returns and lights can get mixed up so keep an eye on that.

Kim:kim:

I noticed in my bid, I have a pentair "The Rebel" cleaning system. Is this one that attaches to my pump? Do I want this? Or should I have them take it out of the price and go with a different system, and if so, what system?

Also, how do you clean a spa?

Thanks,

That is a suction cleaner..........it is one that is attached to the pump so the pump has to be running to work. It is an okay cleaner BUT a robot is a much better cleaner. Look at the video on buying a bot at Marina pool spa & Patio ( Home - Marina Pool Spa & Patio ) they also have Comparison sheets on the different Dolphin bots. Their prices can not be beat, free shipping and no tax if your out of CO. You do have to call them on the phone to get the best price and warranty. They can also tell you which one would work the best for YOUR pool.

There should be a main drain and returns jets in the spa. That will help keep it clean.

Wow I wish I’d thought to add a shelf & umbrella hole when we Re plastered ....costing $13k I wasn’t smart enough to know any changes to the existing pool were possible!

I’m sure OP is close to completing the pool but we’re also in so cal (north county SD) and the autofill would be AMAZING...during the summer our water level drops simnifically each week & requires a lot of hose time.

The spa overflow wall has been perfect for basic filtration. I can see your husbands concern about the fall adding cold water to the spa. Its one of the most commonly used features of our pool so minimizing any cold water addition while in use would be a priority if I was building.

As for the lighting situation- we have 3 in our free form- Kidney pool (30’ Long & 14.5’ across spa end) 1 in spa, 2 in pool. The original lights weren’t LED so when a leak caused us to replace them with LED I was shocked by how bright it is...could easily get away with 1 spa + 1 pool using the LED option.

We LOVE our robot cleaner & will buy all over again should it ever quit on us. I wanted a cleaner that could go in & do its thing without hooking up to the pump since even the lower settings use a lot more electricity than the robot brain. Does an amazing job of keeping it clean...we scrub about 1x per week or less and have no issues. I’d recommend buying the robot vs thru ur PB so you can be sure the warranty is registered to you & buy from a place that offers good service (some bots seem to have issues or need repairs more often than others of the same make/model). Our supplier was super helpful when we had an issue.

Attachments

• F3155808-90A9-4501-8C5B-6DCCFF192231.jpeg
    F3155808-90A9-4501-8C5B-6DCCFF192231.jpeg
    560.4 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: kimkats
I’m sure OP is close to completing the pool but we’re also in so cal (north county SD) and the autofill would be AMAZING...during the summer our water level drops simnifically each week & requires a lot of hose time.

The spa overflow wall has been perfect for basic filtration. I can see your husbands concern about the fall adding cold water to the spa. Its one of the most commonly used features of our pool so minimizing any cold water addition while in use would be a priority if I was building.

We LOVE our robot cleaner & will buy all over again should it ever quit on us. I wanted a cleaner that could go in & do its thing without hooking up to the pump since even the lower settings use a lot more electricity than the robot brain.

Thanks for all your amazing advice. I really appreciate it. Especially on the above topics. I was wondering about the autofill here in North San Diego County. Are you coastal or inland? I'm feeling confident about adding it.
Regarding the sheer descent into the spa, we ended up needing to keep it. We had to change out plans a bit and move the back wall around a tree. So, it's not straight and we had to eliminate a descent going into the pool. We felt that the pool would be out of balance without the one into the spa. So it stays. I could put it on it's own pump, but I feel like that may be overkill.

Reactions: Girl_Style
Have we talked about the importance of using good valves? NOT the ball kind from the big box stores. There are several brands. Some are rebuild-able!

How do I know a good valve? Anything I should look for.
Plumbing got a delayed by about 4 days. So it starts Monday (tomorrow). Additionally, because we are working in such tight space, they are only going to plumb whats in the pool that needs to be there for gunite on Monday. Then they are going to finish the plumbing after gunite. They are worried about cave ins if they try to trench before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gunite is scheduled for Tuesday! We are buying a new hose that will reach over to the far side of the pool so we can properly bond with our pool in the next week.
Question: How many times a day should we water the pool? Do we just spray it with the jet nozzle or switch it to something more mild?

It's over 90 degrees here in coastal San Diego and we don't have air conditioning. I feel like my 1/2 built pool in the back yard is taunting me. I'm ready to have this pool already!

SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Boy did things slow down after the gunite.
Right now my backyard looks like a warzone. Because of the tight space in my yard, they only stubbed the plumbing prior to gunite. Now they have gone in and trenched it. The plumbing, electrical and gas are not all lined in the trenches.
We can't do tile and coping until they fill in the trenches. So the landscaping guy is going to come in and get the trenches filled this coming week.
Then it is tile and coping.
Then we will do the decking.
Pool Trench 2.jpgPool Trench 1.jpg

I'm also trying to decide on pool color. I am leaning towards Stonescapes mini-pebble Aqua Cool. Trying to decide if I want to add the Puerto Rican Blend or abalone shell. Does anyone have Aqua Cool with or without any of these?

Check their work as often as you can. Bring them bottles of water but you are really checking their work.............is it straight? Do you like the placement of the tiles? Are they cutting it like you want? Is it all even? Yeah I do have control issues LOL

I have a tile and grout question and need opinions.
1. What color grout for the water line tile?
We are going with NPT Orion glass tiles in peacock color. They have sparkle and look medium blue in sunlight but look dark blue in shade/indoors as the picture here shows. I want to try to pull the lighter medium blue shade as much as possible, but still have it look good. Pool company decorator is suggesting a medium grey grout. I was thinking, but don't know, a lighter shade of grey or even a cream. Here is a picture of the tile and the shade the pool decorator picked. What do you guys think? I am also picturing it in full sun behind the gunite (grey) and a white piece of paper.
Orion Peacock.jpgTile.jpg
2. Also, we are putting a gold/grey quartzite flagstone as the coping and were thinking a cream grout for that to pull the gold. What color grout for flagstone coping?
flagstone.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.