New build in Round Rock, TX...Fireplace and Plaster Completed

Well it was a good two month wait between signing the contract and getting HOA stuff done and then meeting with superintendent. Dig started on the 20th of July and things have progressed nicely since then. Plumbing wrapped up yesterday. We are going on vacation all next week so hoping the gunite is completed as a nice welcome home present.8C5B72B1-9F4E-4421-A372-68AB270A829A.jpeg
661B99F3-45C8-4FAD-AEBE-C0BE8306CA44.jpeg366FA733-43D8-4145-BCCE-A074E3EEA28A.jpeg6ACC1B80-4039-4B27-9C37-CC9EC2BB75A8.jpegA23DA12A-9021-4DDC-A8DA-AE7ECD82CF29.jpeg50CFC717-E87A-471D-BA53-5FF439ADC638.jpegBB32F633-4F78-489B-8E19-38B2195F7209.jpeg

Made some modifications to the selections. No more deco tile, just using the ledge stone on pillars and raised wall. Changed the coping to something a little lighter versus the ivory.

Decided to contract out the patio coating. The product is called Kool Stone which is like a stamped finish, but has the same reflective and cooling properties as the textured stuff. We haven’t picked out the colors yet, but the style is below.

7A460930-5DE2-471F-8483-6904FB463656.jpegFA4C8CA2-F405-4677-9837-179582265FC5.jpg

Made some modifications to the selections. No more deco tile, just using the ledge stone on pillars and raised wall. Changed the coping to something a little lighter versus the ivory.

Decided to contract out the patio coating. The product is called Kool Stone which is like a stamped finish, but has the same reflective and cooling properties as the textured stuff. We haven’t picked out the colors yet, but the style is below.

View attachment 360308View attachment 360309
Nice color choices! Very similar to our selections, we also went with Blue Slate on the Pebble Sheen! Your build is looking good.

Pool is moving along now. Plumber came out to hook up the equipment which was nice to get out of the garage. Then the decking guys came to set the forms and poured on 9/7. You can see we had them add a step off the landing from the existing patio. I will cut the railing out on that section and then use that railing to make a gate to close of the patio as we have a two year old. Not a big fan of how pool fences look, but at least this will provide an alternative and some level of security. We also have the Kool Kote guys coming out to do the Koolstone overlay on the front patio today, and then will get us on the schedule for the rear patio and decking now that it is done.

Any concerns I should bring up with the equipment plumbing? Seems alright to me, but definitely a novice on pool plumbing.

PB said the clean up will start next week which is awesome as I get to start my projects which includes graveling the side yard and along the pool as I don't want grass there, fixing the sprinkler system, building the fireplace, getting the storage shed done and finally sodding the yard.

Unfortunately PB did say the electrician and plaster are delayed, but I don't really mind as long as things get cleaned up so I can start restoring everything. Its nice having the decking done and not walking on mud and dirt.

IMG_4629.JPGIMG_4605.JPG
IMG_4600.JPGIMG_4607.JPGIMG_4625.JPGIMG_4620.JPGIMG_4618.JPGIMG_4623.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4624.JPG
    IMG_4624.JPG
    595.9 KB · Views: 47
The coating guys came out to do the front courtyard starting Friday of last week. This is what will eventually go on the pool decking and rear patio. We love how it turned out. Those guys were real artists.

With the help of my dad and a neighbor, we poured the pad for the fireplace. I’m not as good as the decking guys, but it will work for what I need it for.

.5064A81A-7C54-4AF3-A191-C6A5B6900E4B.jpegE176294C-1B7A-4C3D-A8A7-B8FDC069A034.jpegE71F8E56-6B5A-429A-85E5-142907622AD8.jpeg

The coating guys came out to do the front courtyard starting Friday of last week. This is what will eventually go on the pool decking and rear patio. We love how it turned out. Those guys were real artists.

With the help of my dad and a neighbor, we poured the pad for the fireplace. I’m not as good as the decking guys, but it will work for what I need it for.

.View attachment 371970View attachment 371971View attachment 371973
Beautiful! We're in Austin and thinking of doing something similar. Willing to share who you used?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

.View attachment 371970View attachment 371971View attachment 371973
Looks great. I have to ask though, why wouldn't you just have had the concrete folks pour this while they were already there? THe additional cost likely would have been minimal.

Looks great. I have to ask though, why wouldn't you just have had the concrete folks pour this while they were already there? THe additional cost likely would have been minimal.
Very true and a fair question. I wanted to add the concrete kinda late and it would have been another change to the plans and a change order. The PB has been great, but their process for change orders is kind of a PITA. So at the end of the day I just decided to take it on myself. It only took took three half days to form and pour and aside from concrete, all the materials were on site. But yes, I would recommend having the decking guys add the pad.

Very true and a fair question. I wanted to add the concrete kinda late and it would have been another change to the plans and a change order. The PB has been great, but their process for change orders is kind of a PITA. So at the end of the day I just decided to take it on myself. It only took took three half days to form and pour and aside from concrete, all the materials were on site. But yes, I would recommend having the decking guys add the pad.
The PITA factor I can understand. Regardless it seems like you did a nice job pouring it. Did you drill into the existing pad to add rebar?

The PITA factor I can understand. Regardless it seems like you did a nice job pouring it. Did you drill into the existing pad to add rebar?

Thank you, and yep, I tied into the decking with rebar. The pad wasn't so big from an area standpoint at roughly 60" x 54", but the average depth was probably like 20". I filled with cinder block and crushed stone, but the footers are gigantic. Ended up being almost a yard of concrete which had I known that before, I would have definitely made the PB add it to the plans. Ignorance is bliss I guess. :)

Checking back in with the progress. Ended getting the fireplace finished taking my time over a couple weekends. Its 99.9% done except I gotta get the big cap placed on top. Its about 120 lbs so I'll need to recruit some neighbors to heave it up there. Overall, love how it turned out and color goes well with the house brick and the splitface on the pool. In case any of you are curious about the fireplace, I bought it here: Roman Stone. Great company to work with and great product.

IMG_4684.jpg

PB let me know they were going to try to plaster last Friday, but ended up getting a good downpour. So they showed up yesterday and got the plaster done. This morning they came by to acid wash and begin the fill. To my untrained eye, it looks pretty good. Color is Pebble Sheen Blue Surf. Pictures are before they acid washed except for the one with water in it. I've got two hoses going so I'm guess sometime tomorrow we'll have this thing filled.

Today I get to start trenching to repair the irrigation lines. Woohoo.
IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4722.jpgIMG_4724.jpg
IMG_4727.jpgIMG_4731.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4720.jpg
    IMG_4720.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4722.jpg
    IMG_4722.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 5
Looks very much like our just finished Blue Surf! We've been loving the color. I keep sneaking peeks throughout the day and just smile.

Also love the fireplace! Makes me wish it made sense to put one in my yard!

Reactions: KBR
Looks very much like our just finished Blue Surf! We've been loving the color. I keep sneaking peeks throughout the day and just smile.

Also love the fireplace! Makes me wish it made sense to put one in my yard!
Thank you! Has yours started to change colors? Most blue surf pics I’ve seen start kind of teal or turquoise and then blue up after awhile.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.