New Build in Ohio

Aug 25, 2018
Lancaster, OH
Hi all! Been lurking around here since last summer when the thought of putting in a pool came up. My wife hates public pools and I was tired of the weather not cooperating on my days off to go swimming on those hot, humid Ohio days. We signed our contract this past January. The original projected time frame for install was July of this year. Got an email from our builder this evening, they moved our build up to MAY! No exact dates, yet; but, really excited (and scared - my backyard is going to be a mess). I was jealous reading about the pool openings down south. Now, I should be swimming by Memorial Day

It's nothing fancy. Details in my signature below

We went with a sport pool
3' 6" shallow to 4'3" deep end. Yes, that's correct. I have some really short people in my family. A diving/tread water pool was not an option from the wife. It's deep enough for me and my son (we are tall) to swim some laps and roam around, wife won't be treading water and my daughter can use the whole pool (on her tip-toes in the deep end). Not to mention the rest of the family (mostly short) when they come over (July 4th swim party at my house!).

I'm taking 2 weeks vacation. Hopefully they can get it done (they estimate between 7-10 days weather permitting) in that time frame so I can enjoy a swim or two before heading back to work. I'll try and post pics of the progress.

Oh goodie!!!! I need a new pool to help build!! If you have been reading you KNOW what I am going to ask for!!! Pics of where this fun pool will be going!!

Is your siggy what this pool will have as equipment? The glass medium in the filter...........might want to rethink this. Several PO tried it and ended up back with sand. The glass can get "gunky" and be almost impossible to clean over time. Just something to think about.

The SWG-How many gallons is the one listed in your siggy? We suggest you get double your pool size. This saves you in two ways-electric cost as you don't have to run the pump as long and long term cost of the cell as you will not have to run it as much to generate enough FC for your pool.

Looking forward to seeing pics and helping you through the mess in your yard!

How old are the kids? I would NOT even tell them any thing about WHEN the pool MIGHT be done. List it in stages instead. That way they will not be disappointed.

Kim:kim:

Thanks for the welcome.
Glass media is what PB switched to this year. When we spoke with him last year, glass was an upgrade. Now it is part of the package. BUT, I will keep sand in mind. This is our first pool
SWG is rated for 60,000 gal.
Son is 17 and daughter is 14. Daughter has been following along this escapade and very excited. Son is busy being a 17 year old :)

Here is the blank canvas. The posts are for the rough location of the pool (not including cement walk)
20190403_190620.jpg

20190403_190634.jpg

20190403_190642.jpg

All of that pretty grass going bye-bye :( BUT you will have a pretty pool to jump into after it is all done!!

LOL on the kids! Old enough to not have any big worries about as far as "is it done yet" but other major areas of worries-TEENS!! Going to need to put up a camera so you can keep an eye out for their fun in the pool when you are not there!!

Kim:kim:

Won't miss mowing all that pretty grass!
Backyard wasn't utilized much. The pool will definitely change that.
Yeah, the wife and I have discussed the camera :eek:

My Test kit arrived today - couldn't wait and did a pH test on my water (will be my fill water) 7.6. The only test I ran since I don't want to waste my tests :testkit:

Last edited:
This adventure just keeps getting better (hopefully, this trend will continue)

Went in to pick our liner patterns morning. We got our dig date....April 18th!!!!
Yep, this was originally slated for July. Then, it was moved up to first half of May. Now, we are 3rd build of the season.
I'm guessing, since we have our permits pulled and the money is squared away OR too many cancelled contracts from last season (we were told they were behind from last year due to all the rain we got) allowed us to get bumped up.
Not complaining...I get a full swim season this year instead of next! Just threw our schedule of for fencing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Getting closer to becoming reality. I saw the flag marking where the lines run this morning. Meeting with the PB to see drawings of the pool. Since I have the plans and dig sheet, I think it might be one of the 3D layouts. I'll post later today if it is

Update: Wasn't a drawing. They came out and staked the pool yesterday morning. I'll a picture of it after the rain stops. The estimated install week's weather is looking good.

Last edited:
Reactions: JodieM
A little late in posting...
Dig day today! They got a lot done in one day. Dug, graded, shell up, plumbed, and concrete (for the shell and equipment pad) poured. Exciting! But, my poor yard. Going to take a while to recover from this.
I'll get pictures posted as soon as I can. Need to pull them from my phone.

YAY! I got a Kimkats - "Let the mud begin"- I'm now officially part of the community.

I attached some build pics from yesterday. All of these, except the one inside the pool obviously, were taken from my upstairs window. Pool looked small until we got into it.

Attachments

• 20190422_084534.jpg
    20190422_084534.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190422_121407.jpg
    20190422_121407.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190422_144709.jpg
    20190422_144709.jpg
    663 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190422_180427.jpg
    20190422_180427.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats and JodieM
Okay, we have some end of day 2 pictures. Moving fairly fast. BUT, we have a soggy day coming in tomorrow or Friday. PB thinks they may be able to drop the liner before the rain hits. They start grading today!

Attachments

• 20190423_122400.jpg
    20190423_122400.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190423_160928.jpg
    20190423_160928.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190423_160945.jpg
    20190423_160945.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190423_161521.jpg
    20190423_161521.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 36
Thanks JodieM. Didn't beat the rain. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.
Decking is scheduled to be poured on Monday (I'll be back at work then :( ). But, possible rain then as well. As a matter of fact, chance of rain all next week.
It's gotta stop raining, eventually. Right? :laughblue:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.