May 13, 2020
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all.

We are in the very beginning of the build and know next to nothing about what to look for in the construction process. Ours is more of a smaller play pool around 13K gallons with an established builder with a good reputation in DFW. Is there a resource you could point me in the direction of that goes over potential issues at each construction stage? I’ve skimmed though our PB’s manual and watched several YT videos, but I was hoping for something a little more in-depth, without being super technical.

Long story short, our belly steel inspection failed today and I’m wondering why and it’s too late to call the PM.

Reactions: Green25
@mknauss - Thank you! #1 especially looks like it might be helpful.

@Jimrahbe - hopefully uploading works. The patio and pool steps are just out of range at the bottom of the photo. of As far as equipment goes: Jandy Pro Series ePump variable speed pump 2.0 HP, - Jandy Pro Series Filter Cartridge 460 SF, Zodiac RS P4 Pool Only Bundle With iAQUALINK, Jandy Pro Series JVA 2444 Valve Actuator (24 VAC), 3 Jandy Pro Series LED Underwater Light, Polaris Quattro Sport
38CCACCF-D843-43E1-8DAD-893BAA4CD2CE.jpeg

How dry should the ground be before gunite? I’ve searched previous posts and read through the Best Practices link above, but I haven’t found a clear answer. We received quite a bit of rain over the last few days and gunite has been scheduled, although I don’t have an exact day yet. Current state of pool vs just after excavation.

5F131B37-4706-499B-9535-8DA6509964C5.jpeg3F2664FD-EE49-4B15-963F-7F3A0591763A.jpeg

How dry should the ground be before gunite? I’ve searched previous posts and read through the Best Practices link above, but I haven’t found a clear answer. We received quite a bit of rain over the last few days and gunite has been scheduled, although I don’t have an exact day yet. Current state of pool vs just after excavation.

View attachment 139588View attachment 139589
They will pump it out before spraying gunite... shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you! It looks like gunite is going to be sprayed this afternoon so the pond at the bottom was a little concerning.

They shot mine a couple days after rain, it was muddy clay up here in Frisco and they had no issue. we also did injections which made it not only muddy but stunk to high heaven. I think you are fine that doesnt look bad at all! Shoot it!

I feel like a broken record, but will the amount of water at the bottom of the pool cause any issues? It rained on Memorial Day and today is Day 11 of gunite watering. I’ve heard you cannot overwater the gunite, but the bottom hasn’t been dry all week.

We’re planning on watering the gunite through Monday for the full two weeks, but do you stop cold turkey? Today is gorgeous, but our temps will heat up pretty quickly soon. B4706A8E-BDB2-4008-A5CA-A132F575F671.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I feel like a broken record, but will the amount of water at the bottom of the pool cause any issues? It rained on Memorial Day and today is Day 11 of gunite watering. I’ve heard you cannot overwater the gunite, but the bottom hasn’t been dry all week.

We’re planning on watering the gunite through Monday for the full two weeks, but do you stop cold turkey? Today is gorgeous, but our temps will heat up pretty quickly soon. View attachment 142692

What City are you in? That fence across the alley almost looks like a "Duck" fence. The owner live in my neighborhood in Allen.

I am slightly north of you; my local weather always thinks I’m in Fairview.

What is a Duck fence? The fence above is part of an electric driveway gate built by the previous owners. We’re not exactly sure what the small metal poles are for but plan on leaving them in case there is a function of which we’re unaware. I was standing about where the new pool gate will be.

I can hear all our neighbors swimming today and wishing we’d made up our minds sooner. :ROFLMAO:

We’re planning on watering the gunite through Monday for the full two weeks, but do you stop cold turkey? Today is gorgeous, but our temps will heat up pretty quickly soon. View attachment 142692
There's a good chart here.. The first chart. 7 days of watering is a big difference from no watering. 28 days yields the same additional increase in strength as 7 days did. Law of diminishing returns. 14 is plenty.

I am slightly north of you; my local weather always thinks I’m in Fairview.

What is a Duck fence? The fence above is part of an electric driveway gate built by the previous owners. We’re not exactly sure what the small metal poles are for but plan on leaving them in case there is a function of which we’re unaware. I was standing about where the new pool gate will be.

I can hear all our neighbors swimming today and wishing we’d made up our minds sooner. :ROFLMAO:
Duck Fence & Deck Just a fence company... the fence behind you looks exactly like one of his board on board fences with a triple cap.

@joepaiii. Could be, although I think you’re seeing the top portion of our neighbor’s fence across the back alley. We are closer to Allen than many parts of McKinney.

On an unrelated note, we received word this afternoon that tile and coping is scheduled for next week. It is all starting to feel real and I can’t wait to see how it all comes together.

Okay, again I feel like a broken record, but I’ve been skimming through posts trying to look for red flags to watch out for and I noticed these wet spots this morning. Today would be day 12 of gunite watering, but no watering has been done since about 7pm yesterday evening and it’s now 1pm, sunny and mid-80s. The areas by the steps were more pronounced at 10am. Is this normal? Sorry, for the 20 questions. I have no idea what is normal and what isn’t.

9E793967-1AC8-4E0C-B31A-1917B6DBD91A.jpeg76313612-0C69-49DC-AABA-F6E79BD53F79.jpeg2FCF4307-D838-4438-9964-4D934153B967.jpeg

Yes, those wet areas are completely normal. Gunite is no waterproof so water will easily bleed through. It can actually come through surprisingly fast, in some spaces, if the ground outside gets saturated from rains. It’s the plaster that waterproofs the shell. No worries.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.