Jul 13, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
After years of dreaming we have taken the plunge. Excavation started on July 12 and for the most part the major excavation is complete as of July 15. Due to Fairfax's insane permitting process we chose a small builder who would work with us to do the build in stages to get us swimming this summer. If you weren't aware in Fairfax you get a 2500 sqft land disturbance allowance, which includes the actual hole, a 10ft perimeter around the hole, and 10ft wide strip from hole site to street, any decking is also considered land disburance. If your project exceeds the allowance you have to do soil testing, a grading plan, and your plan has to be approved by the Chesapeake Bay watershed people, and could require a landscaping plan & bond to the county.

Pool will be rectangle 16 x 30 gunite, 3.5' to 6' deep, no spa or water features as we really just want to swim, do cannonballs, & float. Travertine coping, brushed concrete decking, 1.5hp Pentair pump, cartridge filter, 2 led lights, auto cover.

Due to sanitary sewer easement that is in the middle of my backyard we were limited in both location and size of pool but think this will work for us. Current shed will be remodeled to become a cabana w/ bar.

Picture explanations:
1. Before dig layout
2. After day 1, we had issues with dump trucks removing dirt being too big for Bobcat.
3. During day 2. We missed a day because of truck scheduling issue.
4. After major excavation finished.

Attachments

• IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2258.jpg
    IMG_2258.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2261.jpg
    IMG_2261.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 214
Smoses, welcome! And it looks great so far. Please keep us posted with pics.....we're like greedy addicts needing another pic-fix!

I like the entire plan, including the shed remodel. That's what we did too. I had no idea Fairfax was so restrictive.

Have you decided how you will sanitize the pool?

Maddie :flower:

Pool is 16' x 30'

I plan to do the BBB method advocated here. No SWG, as our pool builder says the county doesn't like them. I didn't ask for clarification but considering the restrictive permit process it makes sense.

Congrats on your new journey! Very exciting times ahead and don't forget your TF-100 test kit...

We left Alexandria VA 5 years ago to head home to Texas. I miss that part of the country and the energy of the DC area :)

Here are the details on Fairfax's stance on salt water:
Proper Discharge of Swimming Pool Water- Fairfax County, Virginia

As long as you drain water on your property, there isn't an issue. They just don't want you to plumb your waste line directly into the sewer system or running a long drain hose to the street. I have SWG and don't have any issues. I backwash my pool into my yard.

I love my SWG, the water feels better and it is much easier to maintain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks awesome! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it LOL

It is time for your own set of links. I put this together for new pool owners. It is a lot of into so take it slow. It will all start to make sense once you start using it:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

This also when I ask what test kit your PB is providing. Let us know so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.