New Build in Cypress, TX

Doclmb

Bronze Supporter
Aug 5, 2014
Cypress, TX
I have been on TFP for about 3 years now. I initially found this site when I had issues trying to maintain a 5,000gal above ground pool. After months of failing to control things on my own and listening to Pool Store recommendations, I purchased the recommended test kit and started getting my data which helped dramatically. Suffice it to say that I never had any issues maintaining the pool after that. Fast forward to now and my family and I have decided to invest in a larger pool, this time we are having a 20,000gal in ground pool built as we speak. We expect it to be complete in about 4-5 more weeks.

My question has to do with the amount of Bleach bottles that you guys typically store. I know that when I had the 5,000gal above ground pool, I usually had a carton of 4 Jugs of Liquid Chlorine. Obviously the size of this pool is going to take a larger amount of Chlorine to maintain. How many jugs are recommended assuming that the pool is balanced (ie Standard things like CYA levels, pH and Chlorine levels are in the appropriate range)?

I keep about a month's worth of chlorine on hand for my pool. I use exclusively 12.5% liquid chlorine. For my 30K gallon pool, that usually means keeping about 12 gallons or so on hand. I'll buy whatever it takes to get me to about 16 and get more when I get to 4-6 gallons left, depending on time of summer and availability of supply at retailers. Usually easy for me to replenish supply June-August but sometimes there's not a lot to be bought come September so I'll stock up a little more in late August to make sure I have enough to get through and close. You'll likely have pretty good availability in your area most of the year being in TX and the number of pools there. Higher % bleach will decay more quickly so I don't like to overdo it on supply and make sure the date codes on the bottles I buy are as fresh as available.

JVT's got you covered on bleach. Any reason not to go with a SWCG? They sure are convenient.

How much chlorine do you guys typically go through each day? I have only been up and running for one week, but keeping the Chlorine level in range is more difficult than I thought. I test frequently right now (2-3 x per day) because the pool is only 1 week old. My levels hold at night and do not drop, but during the day, comparing morning data to dusk data shows a huge drop...I can go from the suggested high range to hovering right at the low range each day.

I use the TroubleFreePool Ap...which is awesome, by the way.
pH: 7.6
TA: 70
CH: 240
CYA:36

Again, I was just trying to get a feel for what volume of Bleach do most of you guys typically run through on your pools each day.
I know there is going to be lots of variations because of size of pools and CYA levels, water features, pool use etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.