New Build - Houston, TX (Heights) - Finished Build!

I think the IntelliTouch is newer technology than the EasyTouch. The EasyTouch with ScreenLogic (I see that in your pictures) is first product offered by Pentair for automation.
Maybe @Jimrahbe can provide some clarification of the difference of an IntelliTouch over an EasyTouch.

UPDATE - EDIT - I found this on a 2009 post
The IntellTouch is a component system, whereas the EasyTouch is a "pre-packaged" system. Think about buying a box system stereo from WalMart where you get what comes in the box (EasyTouch) versus going to a stereo shop and picking the components you want (IntellTouch) and building your own system. A lot of people are selling the EasyTouch now (it is a good system) because it is easier to price (they do not have to add up the components) and it is a cheaper system, which makes them more "competitive" on their bids. There is even an EasyTouch system that "throws in" the SWCG, so a lot of folks use that as a selling point ("if you buy this unit they will throw in the IntelliChlor for free!").

To really get educated on both systems, go here: www.pentairpool.com. Read up on both systems and then you can see which one suits you best. You really will not go wrong with either one, but the options are definitely greater on the IntelliTouch, if you think you may need them in the future.

Yeah, I have done a lot of reading on Easytouch vs Intellitouch vs Intellicenter, at the end of the day I just want to be able to "control" my pool and spa, along with the bubblers are decents, it Easytouch can do it I'm fine, can't imagine what else I would add, but you never know! thanks for the insight.

Rough in electrical happened on July 24th, they installed the automation system, pool and spa lights, lights in the bubblers, bonding and other underground conduit. So the inspector comes out and flagged the pool lights as they are 120v pentair intellibright, he stated that new pools couldn't have 120v lighting. Seems odd, but OK. Builder dropped off some 12v pentair lights this evening, they should get installed soon.

Question - As now all my pool lighting is 12v, if I use one 12v step-down transformer, my gut is telling me it will either be all lights on or none, I would not have the ability to control say just the spa light or spa light and pool light, etc. Unless I got a step-down transformer for each light I wanted to control separately and use a separate relay in the easytouch control.

Question - As now all my pool lighting is 12v, if I use one 12v step-down transformer, my gut is telling me it will either be all lights on or none, I would not have the ability to control say just the spa light or spa light and pool light, etc. Unless I got a step-down transformer for each light I wanted to control separately and use a separate relay in the easytouch control.
My Jandy is as you describe and I think the Pentair automation would be the same. You need to decide how many lights you want individual control - for sure the spa and the pool group would be 2 relays. If you want more control, you may need more transformers. You may be limited by how many relays you have on your automation system.

My Jandy is as you describe and I think the Pentair automation would be the same. You need to decide how many lights you want individual control - for sure the spa and the pool group would be 2 relays. If you want more control, you may need more transformers. You may be limited by how many relays you have on your automation system.
Yikes! So I really need to think about this...if I want all lights individually (Landscape, pool, spa, bubblers and sheers) that would be 5 relays and 5 transformers! I think I might do 3 relays (one trans. for the pool and spa, one for bubblers and one for sheers), the landscape could be on a timer or switch, we will see, even with this, it's 4 transformers....which there was another way! Thanks!

Electrician finished up yesterday wiring up the pumps, heater, lights, automation. We have lights!! Also I was wrong in thinking that each set of lights I wanted to control would need a transformer. There is one 300 W transformer and I have four relays that control the lights individually (pool, spa, bubblers, sheers). Inching closer!!
Pool Lights - Night.jpg

Reactions: WGpoolnewb
We have lights!! Also I was wrong in thinking that each set of lights I wanted to control would need a transformer. There is one 300 W transformer and I have four relays that control the lights individually (pool, spa, bubblers, sheers). Inching closer!!
Can you snap a picture of your automation box with that set up. Good info for others.

Can you snap a picture of your automation box with that set up. Good info for others.
It's not "programed" yet, but here is a pic inside. He said I had one relay open, but it looks like all relays are wired up? Also, in reading the Easytouch manual, I read that the Solar function could work as a "9th" relay, is that true?

Attachments

• Automation wiring.jpg
    Automation wiring.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 300W 120v to 12v.jpg
    300W 120v to 12v.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
Automation for bubblers and sheer? What would I need to add/change to be able to control the sheers and bubblers independently or have them both on? Single pipe goes to the sheers, the two pipes go to each bubbler (2 bubblers).

Attachments

• Automation - Bubbler-Sheers.jpg
    Automation - Bubbler-Sheers.jpg
    717.4 KB · Views: 46
Automation for bubblers and sheer? What would I need to add/change to be able to control the sheers and bubblers independently or have them both on? Single pipe goes to the sheers, the two pipes go to each bubbler (2 bubblers).
You would need to put a controller on the Jandy 3 way valve. Right now it is manual and is set to let equal flow to both sides.
Those blue valves on the bubblers cannot be automated. They would need to be cut out and replaced with a 2 way valve that could accept a controller, That way you could control all 3 via the automation. Right now everything is manual.

Regardless, as a minimum you should have the plumber cut out those 2 blue handle valves and replace with proper 2-way valves. Even if you do not automate them, you could still service them properly. Those blue valves, if they start to leak, can only be cut out and replaced, they are not serviceable.

It's not "programed" yet, but here is a pic inside. He said I had one relay open, but it looks like all relays are wired up? Also, in reading the Easytouch manual, I read that the Solar function could work as a "9th" relay, is that true?
Suggest you mark each of those ports on the bottom as to what wires they lead to, pump, blower, heater, etc. Then make a hand drawing of all the high voltage relays and mark which each controls. Normally the the top left is the pump and SWCG. Have the electrician help if needed If you have to troubleshoot in the future then that will help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The tile, coping and raised spa split face marble has been delivered along with the first coat of waterproofing at the tile locations yesterday...inching are way to completion!

Grout color opinions, I don't think white would look good, so we are moving towards a grey grout, thoughts? Ideas?

Grout-tile-coping-split.jpgGrout Color.jpgGrout tile coping-sun.jpgWaterproofing.jpgBlue Tile Feature wall.jpg

Last edited:
Is that close up pic the blue tile? It looks grey. I think the darker grout because of the black edge of the tile. I usually go for lighter grout but I like the darker with that one.
In the close up, it's the blue tile, it was taken indoors, so maybe that's why it looks more grey? I went outside for the other pics. I think the darker would be better as well. The dark edge, it's really a color thing with the tile, I believe it is the shape of the tile as gets smaller from the outside face to the surface that goes on the wall. What kind of headache am I looking at for keep the grout clean at the waterline?

Tile and coping were completed yesterday, 5 days for the tile and coping, 2 guys for 2 days, then 4 guys for 3 days. I never would have thought it would have taken that much time, but they were very meticulous (I will find out once I try out the spa overflow!!!) and it turned out nice. Backyard is still destroyed, but it shouldn't be long now, plaster is scheduled for next Sat. (28AUG21). weather permitting and fingers crossed. TIle and coping-01.jpgTile and coping-02.jpg

Last edited:
Wow you used your entire backyard. Looks nice though! Are you planning on putting decking over all of the bare areas? I would suggest you put up some poles for shade sails. You'll get more privacy from those as well as the shade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.