Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We're getting a pool!

My wife and I have always talked about building a pool and this year we decided to stop talking about it and go for it! Fingers crossed everything should start moving very shortly. I discovered TFP through a Google search a few weeks back and all the pool content is definitely keeping me occupied as we work through the build!

A quick timeline of where we are now:
3/18/22: Signed Contract
4/8/22: HOA Approval, Utilities located. Our electric service runs right through the future pool (of course!), so we had to get that rerouted. Luckily all other utilities are clear of the pool
4/20/22: Electric service rerouted
4/29/22: 1st scheduled dig date, pushed back due to rain earlier this week
5/4/22: New scheduled dig date 🤞

While the contract has been signed and the design finalized, I'd love any feedback on anything we potentially missed or anything we should be asking our pool builder!1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the new project. A couple notes from me:
1 - Chlorination. They show inline (tabs) and you won't (can't) use that daily due to excessive CYA levels. Ask about a salt water generator (SWG). If they scream & cry about one, leave enough plumbing after the filter to install one yourself.
2 - Pool direction. Consider two things: sun and wind direction. Ideally (if possible), you want the skimmer(s) in such a way the wind helps push surface debris to the skimmer(s). For the sun, watch the setting sun (west) as people on the tanning or benches will have a face-full of TX sun blaring at them.

Good luck!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the new project. A couple notes from me:
1 - Chlorination. They show inline (tabs) and you won't (can't) use that daily due to excessive CYA levels. Ask about a salt water generator (SWG). If they scream & cry about one, leave enough plumbing after the filter to install one yourself.
2 - Pool direction. Consider two things: sun and wind direction. Ideally (if possible), you want the skimmer(s) in such a way the wind helps push surface debris to the skimmer(s). For the sun, watch the setting sun (west) as people on the tanning or benches will have a face-full of TX sun blaring at them.

Good luck!
Our PB is telling us that SWG’s are 3-6 months out and my wife doesn’t want to wait. Trying to see if we can order it now and plumb the equipment in a way we can swap later. That way we don’t delay anything, but still end up with a proper setup. Thanks for the suggestion though, the more I read the more I like the SWG idea!

Luckily the house will block the setting sun, and winds seem to be primarily N/S which should line up with the skimmer on each side. This wasn’t something we specifically planned, but glad it worked out for us.

Looks like a CCP pool. :)

A few suggestions/considerations:
-Are you constrained to have your equipment pad there? I'm guessing you can't hide it around the corner of your house.
-Increase the depth of the shallow end to 4'
-Make sure you get the desired IntelliFlo pump (011028 or 011056)
-Ditch the tab feeder and get a SWG.
-Have them plumb for a SWG and install the dummy bypass cell https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VU8A1Q/ so you can easily drop in a SWG when they're available.
-Get IntelliCenter (with built in SWG power supply) instead of EasyTouch
-Have the plumber install an external bypass for your heater

CCP built my pool. Take a look at my build thread for additional considerations. Happy to answer questions via PM.

Looks like a CCP pool. :)

A few suggestions/considerations:
-Are you constrained to have your equipment pad there? I'm guessing you can't hide it around the corner of your house.
-Increase the depth of the shallow end to 4'
-Make sure you get the desired IntelliFlo pump (011028 or 011056)
-Ditch the tab feeder and get a SWG.
-Have them plumb for a SWG and install the dummy bypass cell https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VU8A1Q/ so you can easily drop in a SWG when they're available.
-Get IntelliCenter (with built in SWG power supply) instead of EasyTouch
-Have the plumber install an external bypass for your heater

CCP built my pool. Take a look at my build thread for additional considerations. Happy to answer questions via PM.
Thanks for the info! Discussing a few of these with PB now and will definitely check out your build thread.

Reactions: pjt
Dig day!

Made a few changes based on the previous feedback:
Increased depth by 6" across pool (now 4' sloping down to 5'6")
Swapped the tab feeder and EasyTouch for an IC40 & Intellicenter. Interestingly once I pushed a little, PB had little trouble finding the equipment for us.

Rebar scheduled for tomorrow and plumbing for Friday. Hoping to shoot gunite Monday 🤞

IMG_3002.JPEGIMG_3003.JPEGIMG_3004.JPEGIMG_3005.JPEG

• Love
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Gunite done! Plumbing and electrical later this week.

Looks like they left a few holes in the gunite all the way down to dirt. Is this normal? Maybe a way to verify thickness? Waiting on a response from builder, but I’m impatient 🙃

. 148F4627-E702-4865-9CC3-AC0D1B9F1CE7.jpeg
F4D574B0-7F83-4522-96E9-D37365C358B7.jpeg

Gunite done! Plumbing and electrical later this week.

Looks like they left a few holes in the gunite all the way down to dirt. Is this normal? Maybe a way to verify thickness? Waiting on a response from builder, but I’m impatient 🙃

. View attachment 408391
View attachment 408390
That’s so gunite shell doesn’t pop out of ground from heavy rains and ground water. It will be filled in at plaster time. Mine has same. Who is your builder? Mine is C&C pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That’s so gunite shell doesn’t pop out of ground from heavy rains and ground water. It will be filled in at plaster time. Mine has same. Who is your builder? Mine is C&C pools.
Ok that makes sense, seemed kinda strange at first.

I’ll PM you the builder. Not sure what the policy is on naming publicly.

Plumbers were here yesterday and today installing the equipment. I have a few questions I’ve already sent over to the builder, but I wanted some insight on if these are things we should really push for when we talk to them.

1. The IC-40 manual states 12”-18” of straight pipe before the SWG inlet is recommended. The SWG is currently plumbed right off a 90. This should be corrected, right?

2. The IC-40 manual also states the SWG should be at least 3’ from the heater outlet. Is this referring to the water outlet or the exhaust? It’s currently within a few inches of the heater’s water outlet.

My main concerns are the SWG functioning properly and not invalidating any of the warranty through Pentair for an improper install.

Any thoughts?5A6DAB26-40CC-4BAE-AB63-B7114CE39FFB.jpeg

Last edited:
Talked to builder this morning, and they're going to relocate the cell to solve both issues. Electricians should be here today to get power run to the equipment pad.

The build has moved surprisingly fast, at least in this early stage. In 8 days we went from nothing to a plumbed gunite shell. We were quoted a 6-8 week build time, so I'm wondering where the rest of the time comes in. Delays to get crews in? I realize there is still quite a bit to do, but doesn't seem like 5-7 more weeks of work. Guess that's why I'm not a pool builder!

Reactions: HappySwimming
Tile and coping went in today. Coming back tomorrow to do toe tile and install the stone on the back of the raised wall as well as grouting tile. We went with a darker blue grout to blend with the tiles. Getting closer!

C63E0ABF-34FF-40EE-A96C-368F21B419D2.jpegA000AF5A-D94E-40A2-BD58-5FD5423EF84B.jpeg

Had a bit of a delay with pebbletec. The finish we originally chose (pebblesheen white diamonds) that was available 2 weeks ago ended up being unavailable. Rather than wait, we ended up switching to a very similar color (white satin). Applied yesterday, and detail crew should be out today to finish things up. Should be filling soon!

486735DB-A802-4FE9-B2B4-0421D79DC37B.jpeg2B59372B-6264-48CF-88AE-D833BA5B92B0.jpeg

Reactions: TKpoolOH
Looks great! It will be nice be able to finally swim in it. I noticed you went with ledger stone for your raised beam. the Next step on my pool is coping and tile. I’m trying to decide if I should put the same glass waterline tile on my raised beam or go with ledger stone. My beam is between 6-12 inches.

Looks great! It will be nice be able to finally swim in it. I noticed you went with ledger stone for your raised beam. the Next step on my pool is coping and tile. I’m trying to decide if I should put the same glass waterline tile on my raised beam or go with ledger stone. My beam is between 6-12 inches.
Thanks! We really like the look of the stone, it turned out great. Glass tile didn’t really fit what we were going for, but I’ve seen several that look great. I don’t think you can go wrong with either!

And we have have water! Should start up equipment tomorrow. The water color turned out a lot greener than what we were shown in other pools with the same finish. PB says it will get more blue as the water is balanced and the pebbletec cures, is this true? I don’t hate the green tint, but it’s not the light blue we were shown.
B7C0B5A4-679D-4949-BCD2-6054CF4BAF62.jpeg

The water color turned out a lot greener than what we were shown in other pools with the same finish. PB says it will get more blue as the water is balanced and the pebbletec cures, is this true?
After a couple days of filtration, chlorination, and chemistry management, the green tint goes away.

Reactions: BobW2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.